Chrome 74 Is Now Available Though Not Too Exciting For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 74 Is Now Available Though Not Too Exciting For Linux Users

Phoronix: Chrome 74 Is Now Available Though Not Too Exciting For Linux Users

While Windows 10 users are gushing over Chrome finally introducing a "dark mode" for the web browser, on the Linux front there are no dramatic user-facing changes but just a lot of continued lower-level improvements for this cross-platform web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To dispel possible confusion from the formulation: from what I googled, dark mode isn't specific to any platform. E.g. here're examples for enabling it on GNU/Linux https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comm...mode_on_linux/

Comment

Why if this dark mode even a feature? If Chrome did use a standard user interface you could have set the colours globally. User interfaces have *not* improved since the late 80's / early 90's... And everyone seems to reinvent the wheel again and again..... Sigh....

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        If Chrome did use a standard user interface...
        You can select GTK3 UI in the options for quite some time now, and it then uses system theming (e.g. dark themes)...

Comment

What about AV1 codec support?

Comment

Chromium removed the theme option to have a dark omnibar earlier this year... So it's back again with dark mode and since 74, chromium got brighter fonts for menus.

Comment

Why if this dark mode even a feature? If Chrome did use a standard user interface you could have set the colours globally. User interfaces have *not* improved since the late 80's / early 90's... And everyone seems to reinvent the wheel again and again..... Sigh....
              Well, clearly just another theme wouldn't have gotten attention, there're thousands of them. As I understand, the Dark Mode changes appearance of sites you visit, it's irrelevant to GTK or whatever else one could've thought from the title.

Comment

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if Dark Theme is something that gonna get into Chrome-74-or-higher based QtWebEngine. I'd try it out of curiosity with Qutebrowser I'm using.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  What about AV1 codec support?

Comment

Dark mode is not for the widgets and browser UI.
                    Dark mode is a new CSS query so that websites can define how their websites will look under dark mode.
                    So you can have a website have black text on white background normally, but when it detects the user is using dark mode, the website is rendered with white text on black background.

web browser compatibility support html css svg html5 css3 opera chrome firefox safari internet explorer

Comment

Working...
                    X