No announcement yet.

KDE Saw More System Settings Work While EGLStreams KWin Support Stole The Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is odd, Personally use a 144hz screen + a 60hz screen and a 1080p TV without these issues. Admittedly I don't use the TV much apart from the odd couch game and Film via VLC

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
      That is odd, Personally use a 144hz screen + a 60hz screen and a 1080p TV without these issues. Admittedly I don't use the TV much apart from the odd couch game and Film via VLC
      For me it's been like that since the switch from Catalyst to AMDGPU with my 260x way, way back when. I never really thought much of it since the driver defaults to having VSync off and turning it on fixes things for me. It always seemed like common sense to enable it at the driver level since not every desktop has a VSync or compositor setting.

The only time I really use VLC is after an OS install when I open a file and realize I need to set my launch defaults. More of an SMPlayer fan myself.

It's little things like that that can give one user a good experience and the other one not. Perhaps I wouldn't have video tearing if I preferred a different media player.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Like XFCE, KDE really likes having an xorg.conf with VSync enabled. That alone will do wonders in my experiences. Here's my xorg.conf which is nothing but the default settings with VSync enabled (/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf).
        Wait, isn't the Vsync setting in KDE compositor settings enough? (I have it on "auto" btw)

I thought the times I had to hack around in xorg config files were finally over something like 3 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
          Not that I agree with the guy you're replying to, but where did you see him critiquing nVidia? I think his point was that Wayland's architecture is built around the server-client model, which it is.
          No his point was that Wayland was created for servers. Don't read things he didn't say.

Comment

I just wish KDE had the option to detect displays in its Display settings module. Having to use xrandr or reboot in 2019 is kind of archaic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
              I just wish KDE had the option to detect displays in its Display settings module. Having to use xrandr or reboot in 2019 is kind of archaic.
              Umm. Isn't that already the case? I can just plugin a proyector, another panel, etc. to my laptop and all of those are being detected without a hussle.

Comment

I just wish KDE had the option to detect displays in its Display settings module.
                Working fine for me, so check your distro or upgrade from 4.0 to 5 already.

Comment

There is no button but I have no issues with actually detecting monitors in OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (KDE/Plasma 5)

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                    KDE devs need fix Kwin perfomance on AMD graphics. I get a 570 and perfomance is disastrous with Plasma. Stutter, no 60fps all time, scroll with lag as hell on browsers...

Same problem on Fedora with KDE, Solus, KDE Neon and Opensuse. With Gnome i don't have this problem.
                    KWin in general has this stuttering problem because it syncs to a timer instead of VBlank. I attempted to solve that problem with a set of patches.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Wait, isn't the Vsync setting in KDE compositor settings enough? (I have it on "auto" btw)

I thought the times I had to hack around in xorg config files were finally over something like 3 years ago
                      On "auto", where it is now, without enabling VSync in xorg.conf I'll get tearing when scrolling anything (Firefox, Kate, terminals) and with videos (at least with mpv, mplayer, Netflix, and Hulu (both with Firefox); nothing else that I really notice. Enable it with the conf and it's fixed with "auto". Other KWin settings do fix it without the conf, but the compositor isn't as stable with them...to the point to where KWin will crash before Plasma has even fully started -- at least up to 5.14. Haven't tested on 5.15.

I've had that experience with two different AMD cards with AMDGPU on KDE and XFCE, two TVs with the 260x and my current TV with the 580.

Comment

Working...
                      X