No announcement yet.

KDE Saw More System Settings Work While EGLStreams KWin Support Stole The Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Saw More System Settings Work While EGLStreams KWin Support Stole The Show

Phoronix: KDE Saw More System Settings Work While EGLStreams KWin Support Stole The Show

Most exciting this week in KDE space was seeing KWin pick up support for the NVIDIA EGLStreams implementation for Wayland with this proprietary graphics driver. Beyond the EGLStreams KWin support were also many fixes and other improvements to the desktop landing this Easter week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

NVIDIA's not getting any of my money. They really fucked this up, and set back desktop Wayland adoption by a pretty big margin, and offloaded most of the work onto the community. I hope their automotive play is undercut by Qualcomm, who at least aren't preventing anyone from bringing their hardware up.

Comment

After reading this news I checked Martin's blog and was shocked to see he didn't write any rant about this...
      He was so keen to rant against and to sabotage Mir support...
      Yeah I know he's not anymore in charge of Kwin development but still...

Comment

As Wayland is now available to many new users, I hope that Plasma Wayland will receive some love. Several bugs are open since too long and I'm not talking about features! SDDM should have been ported to Wayland as well long time ago, it's really sad to see this major component struggling merging the necessary bits.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnet View Post
          After reading this news I checked Martin's blog and was shocked to see he didn't write any rant about this...
          He was so keen to rant against and to sabotage Mir support...
          Yeah I know he's not anymore in charge of Kwin development but still...
          Not all the work could have been done by him alone anyway ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Wayland is fucked up by design and is for servers and not for desktops. Read the history of wayland.
            I didn't think you could be any more of an idiot.

Before the nVidia hate comes on, there's technical reasons why nVidia can't use GBM which can't be fixed without redoing they're entire driver, namely that most of nVidias' driver exist in userspace whereas GBM is kernel space. Wayland itself is backend agnostic, thus never defines the use of GBM, but compositors built against it because it was there.

GBM isn't perfect, it has design problems which cause problems for VR. Either Mesa needs to fix up GBMs design or we need a new allocator, which was nVidias suggestion . KWIN and GNOME implementing EGLStreams is because this failed to happen and we risk being stuck using X.org forever.

imho it shouldn't be in kernel space anyway.
            Last edited by Britoid; 21 April 2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I didn't think you could be any more of an idiot.

Before the nVidia hate comes on, there's technical reasons why nVidia can't use GBM which can't be fixed without redoing they're entire driver, namely that most of nVidias' driver exist in userspace whereas GBM is kernel space. Wayland itself is backend agnostic, thus never defines the use of GBM, but compositors built against it because it was there.

GBM isn't perfect, it has design problems which cause problems for VR. Either Mesa needs to fix up GBMs design or we need a new allocator, which was nVidias suggestion . KWIN and GNOME implementing EGLStreams is because this failed to happen and we risk being stuck using X.org forever.

imho it shouldn't be in kernel space anyway.
              GBM is not in kernel space, it's in user-space. Confusing GBM with GEM/TTM?
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

GBM is not in kernel space, it's in user-space. Confusing GBM with GEM/TTM?
                Maybe?. I was under the impression it was closely tied to the open-source device drivers.

Comment

Wayland is fucked up by design and is for servers and not for desktops. Read the history of wayland.
                  For servers? It is more for embedded, but it was designed to be for desktop, they just expected somebody else take care of 90% of what X11 since they only covered the little corner that was showing images.

Comment

What do we do now? Wait. Yes, but while waiting. What about hanging ourselves? – Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot 

"
                    To start, Wayland was never intended as a replacement for X. Høgsberg originally described Wayland as "a tiny display server + compositing manager," and the first mention of it in the mediaspeculated that it might become "a server used by GDM, as the screensaver server, for a safe-mode display server, or for graphical text consoles […] among other possible uses. Wayland could also be a great fit for embedded systems."
                    "
                    You're confusing display servers and physical servers?

Comment

Working...
                    X