No announcement yet.

Qt 6 Might Drop Their Short-Lived Universal Windows Platform Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am completely against that model of software distribution. I would just not have a computer if I had to get shit from "app stores" and Microsoft is not to be trusted with ANYTHING. Whatever they start, they'll be making noise about ending support for when it's not raking in money.

We're STILL working around games that bet the farm on "Games for Windows Live".

Windows 8+ is a disconnect and ruination of the computing environment. What a shitshow... I hate Windows 10 so much that I'm reluctant to get involved because it always turns into a time wasting ordeal. (on-site technician).

I am completely phasing out Windows on my main rig. I'll need to keep one install of Windows 7 in house for data recovery software but my gaming is all moving to Linux. Whatever doesn't run through Steam Play can go and get stuffed, and I made room for a Lutris environment to see if I can get some Origin and GoG games working. That's my next project, I've never tried Lutris before.

Comment

Windows adopting Snap in 3... 2... 1...

Comment

> gutting out
        My new favorite word! 🤣

​

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Windows adopting Snap in 3... 2... 1...
          0! You can use Snaps under WSL.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

0! You can use Snaps under WSL.
            that's not what I meant and you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
              I am completely phasing out Windows on my main rig. I'll need to keep one install of Windows 7 in house for data recovery software but my gaming is all moving to Linux. Whatever doesn't run through Steam Play can go and get stuffed, and I made room for a Lutris environment to see if I can get some Origin and GoG games working. That's my next project, I've never tried Lutris before.
              Lutris is pretty good, it's kinda like the old "PlayOnLinux" frontend for WINE.
              It'll even run the latest build of Chris (Wing Commander) Roberts' "Star Citizen" at full speed.

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post
                "Sweeney argued that end-users should be able to download UWP software and install it in the same manner as non-UWP software."
                from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...ndows_Platform
                You've read that sentence from your quote, right? UWP as an API isn't being criticized, just how apps are being deployed.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
                  It's a strictly windows 10 only thing
                  So? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...dows-7-support

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    that's not what I meant and you know it.
                    I perfectly know that. I didn't mean it literally.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

Let's see... even Microsoft port their own apps from UWP to PWA? OneNote, Teams, Skype and even https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...s-for-windows/
                      That's so funny. LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X