Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 4.6 Brings Big Performance Improvement For Multi-Threaded Games / Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 4.6 Brings Big Performance Improvement For Multi-Threaded Games / Apps

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 4.6 Brings Big Performance Improvement For Multi-Threaded Games / Apps

Friday's release of Wine 4.6 was exciting in that it started merging the code for WineD3D Vulkan support, now supports a shared Wine-Mono, and other big ticket work. Wine-Staging 4.6 is now available as the latest experimental patches re-based atop the latest upstream Wine. This Wine-Staging update is quite exciting in its own right...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This should be a huge wine for multi-threded Windows programs, including games.
    Two typos in one sentence and "win" misspelled as "wine"? ... I smell bait.

Comment

The esync patch set has been part of Proton since literally the first Proton release. It's nice to see it's now in Staging, but the comments about this being a big change for proton are a bit misguided.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
        The esync patch set has been part of Proton since literally the first Proton release. It's nice to see it's now in Staging, but the comments about this being a big change for proton are a bit misguided.
        It's also been available with various Lutris Wine runners. I've been using it with my personal builds for a while now after tracking down how Lutris does their builds...just finished doing two different 4.6 Staging builds actually .

Comment

Why didn't they implement Esync to work by default with an option to turn it off from settings?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
            Does RE2 works out of the box now? (without installing mfplat manually)
            No, it needs more mfplat implementations.

Comment

Originally posted by torbido View Post
              Why didn't they implement Esync to work by default with an option to turn it off from settings?
              Use Lutris. It has an esync toggle switch in each games' settings.

Personally, I find var=X wine game.exe easier than running winecfg and tweaking it from there and using Lutris or other Wine frontends when I need per application settings. These days I don't even like having Wine installed as a system program and prefer using custom built Lutris Wine runners to manage Windows applications...takes like 4 minutes to get an march optimized build so why not?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                Does RE2 works out of the box now? (without installing mfplat manually)
                GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Here's a script to easily install Media Foundation support in a Wine prefix.

Comment

Wine-Staging 4.6 still is reverting the FAudio implementation until it's been packaged by the key Linux distributions.
                  Again? Please stop doing this. They are giving more reason for the distros to not do it.

Comment

WINE ESYNC can cause some games to freeze for some reason. A couple come to mind but perhaps this new wine staging works ok with them. KCD and Warthunder both lock up with esync for me, but perhaps KCD is ok now with 4.6staging. For some reason Warthunder in general hates my guts (the native wt client is crap/broken, inc ogl and vlk options)

Comment

Working...
                    X