No announcement yet.

Dolphin & Other KDE Utilities To Begin Displaying File Creation Times On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphin & Other KDE Utilities To Begin Displaying File Creation Times On Linux

Phoronix: Dolphin & Other KDE Utilities To Begin Displaying File Creation Times On Linux

With KDE Frameworks 5.58, the Dolphin file manager and other KDE applications will finally begin displaying file creation dates/times as a long sought after feature on Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OMG, this is amazing!!!
    Thank you very much Nate Graham and the rest of developers!
    I assume that in the case someone browse a NTFS partition from Linux and looks at the properties, the creation date/time will still be not displayed.
    I have a common "Data" partition (NTFS) where I put stuff (like media) that I want to be accessible from both Windows and Linux on my dual-boot laptop.
    Hopefully the creation date/time will be fixed in the future also for this case.
    Anyway, I'm verry happy to see that Linux is finally catching up Windows also on this side.

Comment

I have hoped for the day this feature would come since 2001.

I use it to check creation times on work logs and design files to make sure I edit the most recent version and also know when I started work if I forget to write a time down due to it being an emergency.

In the meantime I have been using noatime and nodiratime to at least have some idea of last edits and file age.

Thank You!
      Last edited by ElectricPrism; 14 April 2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        OMG, this is amazing!!!
        Thank you very much Nate Graham and the rest of developers!
        You are welcome!
        I assume that in the case someone browse a NTFS partition from Linux and looks at the properties, the creation date/time will still be not displayed.
        The filesystem level is completely left to the kernel, so as long as the kernel provides the timestamp, Dolphin etc will be able to make use of it.

At least when the NTFS file system is exported via SMB and mounted on Linux, Birthtime is available. Currently I have no locally mounted NTFS at hand, but you can check yourself:
        Code:
        stat /path/to/file
        If it shows a date/time instead of just "-", Birthtime is supported.

Comment

Working...
        X