Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Preparing To Test WebRender With "Qualified" Linux Users

Phoronix: Mozilla Preparing To Test WebRender With "Qualified" Linux Users

While Linux users can today manually enable WebRender support for their Firefox installations, Mozilla is making the necessary adjustments to begin experimenting with enabling this Rust-written GPU-based rendering element for "qualified" Linux devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can you please tell me why 3440x1440? I don't see any valid reason, unless it is a lack of HiDPI support.

(by the way, gfx.webrender.all is also effective and doesn't require an environment variable)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 10 April 2019, 12:21 AM.

Comment

I have Mesa 19, Intel GPU and have been using webrenderer since ages.

Not that it makes much difference though....

​​​​​​Anyway, best way to boost your browser is to use NoScript. It also doubles as an adblocker and security measure!

Comment

Just one 4K screen? What about two? Or what about three, including my laptop screen? 😩 Linux makes me so sad regarding multi-monitor support... All the damn time given that I have multiple screens at home and at work (and 4K at both locations too and I'm still waiting for Mozilla to get through some 100+ session manager bugs before I can start using the new version)
        Last edited by richardnpaul; 10 April 2019, 01:34 AM. Reason: Adding more gripes

Comment

Webrender works fine on my Intel and AMD machines since many months. Good to see Mozilla improving their Linux support. The open drivers would have allowed them much earlier driving this forward.

Comment

Hmm, last time I tried it with that configuration (on sway/Wayland with GTK_PLATFORM), it just produced an empty window, as if the two environment variables were mutually exclusive (works fine on Xwayland, besides a few glitches).

I'm surprised they didn't mandate some OpenGL version?

Regardless, the future is going to be bright! I hope the Wayland oddities will soon be ironed out.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              Hmm, last time I tried it with that configuration (on sway/Wayland with GTK_PLATFORM), it just produced an empty window, as if the two environment variables were mutually exclusive (works fine on Xwayland, besides a few glitches).

I'm surprised they didn't mandate some OpenGL version?

Regardless, the future is going to be bright! I hope the Wayland oddities will soon be ironed out.
              Same funkiness happens with plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

Same funkiness happens with plasma.
                Plasma/Wayland still has a long way to go as far as I can tell.

each release I give it a shot and has been getting longer and longer before I switch back to X11 - so it certainly is improving

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  Hmm, last time I tried it with that configuration (on sway/Wayland with GTK_PLATFORM), it just produced an empty window,
                  It's working now in Nightly, but I'm not using it because of another issue (it can't talk to an already-running Firefox, so clicking on links or starting it from a shortcut doesn't work).

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
                    ​​​​​​Anyway, best way to boost your browser is to use NoScript. It also doubles as an adblocker and security measure!
                    NoScript is for masochists

Comment

Working...
                    X