KDE Plasma 5.16 & KDE Frameworks 5.57 Development Remains Quite Busy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.16 & KDE Frameworks 5.57 Development Remains Quite Busy

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.16 & KDE Frameworks 5.57 Development Remains Quite Busy

April is off to a busy start for KDE developers as besides preparing for KDE Applications 19.04, some early work on KDE Applications 19.08 is already underway as is development work for KDE Plasma 5.16 as the next desktop update and the next monthly KDE Frameworks 5.57 collection...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    HiDPI support for Gwenview squeezing into KDE Applications 19.04
    Finally! I've been waiting for this feature to arrive in mainline. Thanks to all KDE developers!

(Michael you should really put this on the title)

Comment

The hacky sack fractional scaling in Xorg (Plasma's shell scales horribly... Unity and Gnome 3.32 do it quite well), and the lack of any fractional scaling in Wayland is my biggest gripe. I really hope something comes along soon for plasma. I heard Edmundson created a kwin scaling patch for use in Wayland a year ago (he had a old blogpost talking about it and said it could be enabled through kscreendoctor), but i haven't been successful in using it and i haven't heard anything about it since.

Comment

Because kde was ready long ago, depending on your tolerance for papercuts. Most of the issues being addressed in the last year is papercut issues, which is a sign of people actually using it.
        And it runs quite well on my 1'st gen ATOM netbook (with an older Mesa, as support for it GPU has been dropped) so it really isn't a huge resource hog.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

[...] compared to Xfce and [...] like Xfce. [...] Xfce has [...].
          Go have fun with Xfce then. Problem solved.

Comment

Explain what is the point to use desktops like gnome3 and kde that are newer ready, buggy, slow, not freely configurable and resource hog.
            I use XFCE on a couple of my systems too, and I really like it. It does its job and it does it well. Having said that, I also use other desktop environments in situations where the extra resource usage is not as problematic, letting me take advantage of other features they provide. My point is that I would REALLY like you to stop spreading your XFCE gospel. We have heard it and do not want to be reminded of it every single time we open a thread about something loosely related to desktop software!

You have a right to your opinion and a right to present it, but the other users of the phoronix forum also have a right to not be hassled by you.

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post

I use XFCE on a couple of my systems too, and I really like it. It does its job and it does it well. Having said that, I also use other desktop environments in situations where the extra resource usage is not as problematic, letting me take advantage of other features they provide. My point is that I would REALLY like you to stop spreading your XFCE gospel. We have heard it and do not want to be reminded of it every single time we open a thread about something loosely related to desktop software!

You have a right to your opinion and a right to present it, but the other users of the phoronix forum also have a right to not be hassled by you.
              He's doing it for about 5 years and he's not gonna stop (no matter how many times Michael benches DEs showing there's not much difference between them). Just ignore him, he's literally a broken record and the most you can get out of an argument is a polluted thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

He's doing it for about 5 years and he's not gonna stop (no matter how many times Michael benches DEs showing there's not much difference between them). Just ignore him, he's literally a broken record and the most you can get out of an argument is a polluted thread.
                In that case, his posts should be curated by Michael. My remark was as much addressed to him as to debianxfce...

Comment

Explain what is the point to use desktops like gnome3 and kde that are newer ready, buggy, slow, not freely configurable and resource hog.
                  aaawww.. another one of the "640K Ought to be Enough for Anyone" brigade

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post

In that case, his posts should be curated by Michael. My remark was as much addressed to him as to debianxfce...
                    I also believe that, but for some reason Michael has a really relaxed attitude when it comes to trolling.
                    Need I insert the "someone's wrong on the Internet" xkcd here?

Comment

Working...
                    X