Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.16 & KDE Frameworks 5.57 Development Remains Quite Busy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Plasma 5.16 & KDE Frameworks 5.57 Development Remains Quite Busy

    Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.16 & KDE Frameworks 5.57 Development Remains Quite Busy

    April is off to a busy start for KDE developers as besides preparing for KDE Applications 19.04, some early work on KDE Applications 19.08 is already underway as is development work for KDE Plasma 5.16 as the next desktop update and the next monthly KDE Frameworks 5.57 collection...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...eek-April-2019

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    HiDPI support for Gwenview squeezing into KDE Applications 19.04
    Finally! I've been waiting for this feature to arrive in mainline. Thanks to all KDE developers!

    (Michael you should really put this on the title)

    Comment


    • #3
      The hacky sack fractional scaling in Xorg (Plasma's shell scales horribly... Unity and Gnome 3.32 do it quite well), and the lack of any fractional scaling in Wayland is my biggest gripe. I really hope something comes along soon for plasma. I heard Edmundson created a kwin scaling patch for use in Wayland a year ago (he had a old blogpost talking about it and said it could be enabled through kscreendoctor), but i haven't been successful in using it and i haven't heard anything about it since.

      Comment


      • #4
        Explain what is the point to use desktops like gnome3 and kde that are newer ready, buggy, slow, not freely configurable and resource hog.

        Comment


        • #5
          Because kde was ready long ago, depending on your tolerance for papercuts. Most of the issues being addressed in the last year is papercut issues, which is a sign of people actually using it.
          And it runs quite well on my 1'st gen ATOM netbook (with an older Mesa, as support for it GPU has been dropped) so it really isn't a huge resource hog.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by grigi View Post
            And it runs quite well on my 1'st gen ATOM netbook (with an older Mesa, as support for it GPU has been dropped) so it really isn't a huge resource hog.
            Kde uses 2X RAM compared to Xfce and is N times slower to boot and shutdown with a nvme drive, Ryzen 12 threads and RX 570. It is like windows, no hardware is enough fast to run it like Xfce. Kde has 3 static start menus and Xfce has the freely configurable Whisker menu.
            Last edited by debianxfce; 04-08-2019, 01:58 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

              [...] compared to Xfce and [...] like Xfce. [...] Xfce has [...].
              Go have fun with Xfce then. Problem solved.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Explain what is the point to use desktops like gnome3 and kde that are newer ready, buggy, slow, not freely configurable and resource hog.
                I use XFCE on a couple of my systems too, and I really like it. It does its job and it does it well. Having said that, I also use other desktop environments in situations where the extra resource usage is not as problematic, letting me take advantage of other features they provide. My point is that I would REALLY like you to stop spreading your XFCE gospel. We have heard it and do not want to be reminded of it every single time we open a thread about something loosely related to desktop software!

                You have a right to your opinion and a right to present it, but the other users of the phoronix forum also have a right to not be hassled by you.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post

                  I use XFCE on a couple of my systems too, and I really like it. It does its job and it does it well. Having said that, I also use other desktop environments in situations where the extra resource usage is not as problematic, letting me take advantage of other features they provide. My point is that I would REALLY like you to stop spreading your XFCE gospel. We have heard it and do not want to be reminded of it every single time we open a thread about something loosely related to desktop software!

                  You have a right to your opinion and a right to present it, but the other users of the phoronix forum also have a right to not be hassled by you.
                  He's doing it for about 5 years and he's not gonna stop (no matter how many times Michael benches DEs showing there's not much difference between them). Just ignore him, he's literally a broken record and the most you can get out of an argument is a polluted thread.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

                    He's doing it for about 5 years and he's not gonna stop (no matter how many times Michael benches DEs showing there's not much difference between them). Just ignore him, he's literally a broken record and the most you can get out of an argument is a polluted thread.
                    In that case, his posts should be curated by Michael. My remark was as much addressed to him as to debianxfce...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X