Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Current Windows 10 vs. Linux Browser Performance For Google Chrome + Mozilla Firefox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current Windows 10 vs. Linux Browser Performance For Google Chrome + Mozilla Firefox

Phoronix: The Current Windows 10 vs. Linux Browser Performance For Google Chrome + Mozilla Firefox

Last week were tests looking at the Firefox/Chrome web browser performance on eight Linux distributions but how does the situation look if adding Microsoft Windows 10 to the equation? Well, this article addresses that question as we looking at how well Chrome and Firefox compare Windows 10 vs. Linux on the same system and using the latest releases of these web browsers.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27723

• vanillabooom
    replied
    Windows are much faster now (without windows defender) than Linux (Mint)

Leave a comment:

• xorbe
    replied
    Someone dug into the Tumbleweed+Intel results, and the culprit appears to be specific kernel mitigation options between TW and other popular distros. The reddit thread was summarily down-voted and banned/deleted. rbrown literally cannot accept any objective criticism that there are performance deltas between openSUSE and others. "There are software differences so it's not correct to compare!" I'm sorry but wtf kind of logic is that. "We're not chart-topping so it's invalid!"

> The default should be complete mitigation. The performance
    > impact is not openSUSE's fault, but Intel's. Sorry.

> You should complain to Intel that you threw
    > your money out of window, not to us.

Ahh, here we have opensuse devs insulting people's choices and assuming what the user wants/needs.
    Last edited by xorbe; 04-11-2019, 02:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RomuloP
    replied
    Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post

I used to use purely Windows, then Windows + Ubuntu, then Windows + Arch, then pure Arch, then pure Windows, then both, now back to pure Windows again.

Realistically, I see:

Windows
    ✔ Superb drivers (important with Nvidia)
    ✔ Apps' priority platform (a whole range of pros)

Arch
    ✔ No CCleaner & Defrag
    ✔ Fast installs & updates
    ✔ Fun tweaking until you won't boot, which teaches you more (because otherwise you won't boot)

So unless I can stick to "native" Arch software without "pro" business apps giving me the edge, I can't see ever going back. Dual-booting's also a waste. It's just one more system to deal with, which is overall more pain.
    I just don't face your problems, firstly because I prefere Jetbrains tools over VS, and as a hobbyist digital painting artist I would use Krita even in Windows anyway, not for lack of choice, tried Painter and PS but never found them to be practical. Sure, a lot of people out there need other tools like CAD or PS or office, they will be much better served with Windows really.

In second place, I really never waste my time fixing my setup, nowadays that we have things like OSTree or BTRFS, any quirk, even personal errors, are simply some seconds away with snapshot restoration... The bad is that you actually do not learn much, but I simply want to work/have fun. Windows actually has restoration tools, but, when eventually you need it, eventually it do not work after hours running and so there we go reinstalling everything generally.

Some time ago I had a bare-metal VM for games and it was a "blahrg" setup, the only point that was making my experience bad, but actually my entire library run out of box in Linux now without tweaks, just hit install. If Windows had a so great restoration tool I would consider the work of moving my life back to Windows but I got extremely lazy about this... Also I do not plan to get my anxiety back. I plan to test Silverblue in future in ANOTHER machine but if it really do not bring much more to my peace of mind will stay exactly where I am. I'm more practical than in search of the best performance, probably in future I will move to streaming games.
    Last edited by RomuloP; 04-09-2019, 07:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ArchLinux
    replied
    Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
    this is one of the threads that make me ask myself:

1. I have better battery life in windows
    2. I have games, ms office, photoshop and sony vegas on windows
    3. browsers are faster on windows
    4. My nvidia card works better, no CUDA, gcc and lower level compatibility issues

then I ask myself why am I here?

then I answer myself
    1. In linux I can customize my desktop environment with convenient shortcuts
    2. code compiles faster
    3. I have more free RAM available
    4. bash

Hope I don't ask myself for much longer..
    I used to use purely Windows, then Windows + Ubuntu, then Windows + Arch, then pure Arch, then pure Windows, then both, now back to pure Windows again.

Realistically, I see:

Windows
    ✔ Superb drivers (important with Nvidia)
    ✔ Apps' priority platform (a whole range of pros)

Arch
    ✔ No CCleaner & Defrag
    ✔ Fast installs & updates
    ✔ Fun tweaking until you won't boot, which teaches you more (because otherwise you won't boot)

So unless I can stick to "native" Arch software without "pro" business apps giving me the edge, I can't see ever going back. Dual-booting's also a waste. It's just one more system to deal with, which is overall more pain.

Leave a comment:

• ArchLinux
    replied

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    They won't be able to get any proper developers (to develop new code or to maintain it) since most sane devs don't use Rust.
    Hmm, i was focusing on Bsdisbetter's first sentence, but I guess that could apply to the second one.

It'd be interesting to see Mozilla's contributor rates over the last couple years and whether they've gone significantly down. Though the argument is lessened somewhat by the way Firefox seems to be less behind Chrome than they used to be.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    How does that impact anything?
    They won't be able to get any proper developers (to develop new code or to maintain it) since most sane devs don't use Rust.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    They kind of did it to themselves when they decided on using Rust for Firefox.
    How does that impact anything?

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
    Mozilla basically are rudderless now following all the trends dictated by MS. They have a dwindling market share, a horrible browser
    They kind of did it to themselves when they decided on using Rust for Firefox.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X