Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Current Windows 10 vs. Linux Browser Performance For Google Chrome + Mozilla Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
    then I ask myself why am I here?

then I answer myself
    1. In linux I can customize my desktop environment with convenient shortcuts
    2. code compiles faster
    3. I have more free RAM available
    4. FISH

Hope I don't ask myself for much longer..
    Fixed that for you

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce
      off-topic trolling
      Couldn't you have posted your giant, obnoxious, overused image in the systemd thread? If you're going to troll, at least troll on the right topic.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Makes me wonder if the differences are simply from using settings normally disabled and hidden under about:config or if there was some other underlying framework change between now and nightly that is making it faster.
        90% of the time it's just placebo.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Aside from SeleniumBenchmark: MotionMark, Windows wipes the floor with Linux.
          Apart from the obvious, it's probably also the advantage of closed source, no sarcasm. Nobody in their right mind releases in some stupid shit Debug mode (because it leaks source code info), while it's "the default" on some crappy build systems in open source because why not. Open Source devs tend to not give a shit about the end users or end binary quality (how can you "forget" something is in debug build, wtf, they don't even inspect their binaries), just to keep their stupid code clean.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            IMHO, SUSE shouldn't be used in benchmarks until a script is made for the PTS that will disable some of their default settings like Baloo scanning the drive like crazy. The last time I let Baloo do its thing, Tumbleweed two months ago, it took 48 hours...and was the day I read the baloo man pages.
            It shouldn't be used in benchmarks at all. openSUSE defaults are clearly not designed for speed. And of course, no one who wants a responsive desktop uses the openSUSE defaults. So, the benchmarks are irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
              I tried to bring Tumbleweed's perf to the attention of the community, but everyone turns a blind eye, and even rbrown of opensuse calls this site trash.
              Well, that should tell you how much they care about benchmarking by random guys on the web. No real reason to worry about it further, wouldn't you think?

Comment

Michael would it be possible to have the geometric means per platform and per browser? (i.e. Firefox/Linux, Firefox/Windows, Chrome/Linux, Chrome/Windows)
                Thank you.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Linux features around GPU/video accleeration on the basis of driver woes
                  Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  for the firstp lace finish

Comment

openSUSE has BTRFS by default, COW filesystems are not best performers.
                    Also Baloo indexer takes quite a lot of resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                      Apart from the obvious, it's probably also the advantage of closed source, no sarcasm. Nobody in their right mind releases in some stupid shit Debug mode (because it leaks source code info), while it's "the default" on some crappy build systems in open source because why not. Open Source devs tend to not give a shit about the end users or end binary quality (how can you "forget" something is in debug build, wtf, they don't even inspect their binaries), just to keep their stupid code clean.
                      And yet, Windows has serious memory leaks when running browsers, and often isn't capable of shutting one down without leaving multiple zombie processes running. Maybe there's something to be said for clean code?

Comment

Working...
                      X