Wine-Staging 4.5 Comes In Smaller Thanks To More Patches Being Upstreamed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Games are horrible complex at times particularly once you get into some of the digital rights management and anti-cheating code. Anti cheating bring in instance id stuff with instance id stuff you cannot do hey lets put default keys in registry then run game as each install instance needs to be unique and the instance id is based on hardware configurations of the platform the game is on. New version of wine so games perform improves need to change configuration settings so needs new install and new instance id .

This is why I said cache the installer there are some items where the only path is reinstall. Yes Steam could white list some games that can redo their registries or take defaults. There will be some that will be clean install.

People find this under windows with some games change Nvidia graphics card for AMD and some games die under windows until they are reinstalled clean as well so this is not a wine only behaviour. Steams current method is like using a sledge hammer to put in a required nail. There is a nail that needs to be put in just need to work out how todo it with a smaller hammer..
    I thought the simple file hashing technique (a la Steam discovers corrupt files) would have been enough in most cases to check for file differences, and a simple registry wipe tool for anything more 'advanced', and the game can simply be 'reinstalled' without to much drama or downloading in most cases. A lot of games I have that dont even run properly yet on my system, like the Total War's, arent even being updated but neccesseitated complete redownloading. Not entirely sure how one stores steam installers besides using back ups, and why it would help as the installed game hasn't changed, just the proton/WINE version which is simply wrappers. Steam is forcing reinstalls to a game unnecessarily due to its own changes and really makes no sense.
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      I thought the simple file hashing technique (a la Steam discovers corrupt files) would have been enough in most cases to check for file differences, and a simple registry wipe tool for anything more 'advanced', and the game can simply be 'reinstalled' without to much drama or downloading in most cases. A lot of games I have that dont even run properly yet on my system, like the Total War's, arent even being updated but neccesseitated complete redownloading. Not entirely sure how one stores steam installers besides using back ups, and why it would help as the installed game hasn't changed, just the proton/WINE version which is simply wrappers. Steam is forcing reinstalls to a game unnecessarily due to its own changes and really makes no sense.
      They trying to get as many applications work. Applications they don't know how bad they are. Lot of what you are talking about can be latter optimisations once programs work and you can tell if they have any evils or not..

Reinstall each change just removes those other strange and more time consuming issues to detect from being a problem.

What you call unnecessarily if you do have program that is trouble with installer set features and update just the wine version result is have some people reporting that the game works perfect and others on almost the same configuration reporting complete failure. This is seen in the wine appdb from time to time. So you can waste days/months chasing a simple case that the program should have been reinstalled on wine version update.

Basically with programs that don't work yet and you are not sure of exactly what the issues is reinstalling per wine version is a good thing to get clean test results.

Of course caching the installer so you don't have to download every single time would be a good thing. Also some games to be evil in their anti-cheat/copy protection require unique values put in installer per install so this might not be something steam can cache as well.

Comment

Turns out, and I've been doing this since before this discussion cropped up, simply doing a file check on the games 'requiring' an update according to Steam will, more often than not, allow you to simply resume where you left off pre-patching.

It's a pain in the arse, but hella more efficient than reacquiring. Just have to be on the ball during the whole process as Steam likes to automate the whole update-queue procedure.
        Hi

Comment

Working...
        X