Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birdie
    replied
    It's quite telling really: not a single CD image with an up to date TDE: https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/LiveCDs

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by raonlinux View Post
    This is a project that I don' t understand, why they want keep alive a version of KDE but with the old libraries, why not port it to Qt 5, do like Mate which so far is not bad option, if you want to keep the older look of the desktop with the new libraries. They should consider also some new stuff of plasma that can improve or use it on this version as the Kwin but I bet that is a lot of work.
    That I will like it will be better that they join force with LXQT, and make a mix of both desktop, I bet will be interesting project. I like LXQT but need attention on the desktop interface with a better menu and use another windows manager not openbox which is already old one based on Qt or something.
    Porting to Qt5 means that they're just going to be another LXQT port. And no, please let the projects be separate. LXQT will never ever be as great as Trinity, even if the teams joined forces.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by awesz View Post
    The direction Linux's DEs should've stayed in: lean panels, standard widgets and time-tested concepts. Too bad Trinity is stuck with Qt 3.
    I think that kd2, was the best, fast, low resources

Leave a comment:

• raonlinux
    replied
    This is a project that I don' t understand, why they want keep alive a version of KDE but with the old libraries, why not port it to Qt 5, do like Mate which so far is not bad option, if you want to keep the older look of the desktop with the new libraries. They should consider also some new stuff of plasma that can improve or use it on this version as the Kwin but I bet that is a lot of work.
    That I will like it will be better that they join force with LXQT, and make a mix of both desktop, I bet will be interesting project. I like LXQT but need attention on the desktop interface with a better menu and use another windows manager not openbox which is already old one based on Qt or something.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    After reading all the comments, I say that the old Qt3 libraries has been forked too, and features has been added, e.g. antialiasing.
    I tried Trinity Desktop time ago, and even now I do not understand why Arts (still) exists. Without Arts, TDE should be a valid alternative to Xfce and Lxqt. A complete network manager should also be implemented. Another missing feature is the hdpi support.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post
    I imagine it's going to be behind in security patches. With that in mind i don't really understand why this project exists anymore, especially since the latest plasma releases have been really solid.
    You realize a vast amount of security holes are because of new code, and neglected old code if you have code that is mainly in maintenance mode then... most of the patches *are* security and fixes.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post
    I don't really understand why this project exists anymore
    Because nostalgia.

Leave a comment:

• Girolamo_Cavazzoni
    replied
    In German we say 'Denkmalpflege' which means preservation of (cultural) heritage. Mate takes a similar direction and I consider it a fine desktop environment. But for the sake of future usability Mate's infrastructure is moving on - Trinity needs just that, I guess, to continue being a considerable alternative.

Leave a comment:

• awesz
    replied
    The direction Linux's DEs should've stayed in: lean panels, standard widgets and time-tested concepts. Too bad Trinity is stuck with Qt 3.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    I imagine it's going to be behind in security patches. With that in mind i don't really understand why this project exists anymore, especially since the latest plasma releases have been really solid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X