No announcement yet.

KDE3-Forked Trinity Desktop R14.0.6 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's quite telling really: not a single CD image with an up to date TDE: https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/LiveCDs

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Porting to Qt5 means that they're just going to be another LXQT port. And no, please let the projects be separate. LXQT will never ever be as great as Trinity, even if the teams joined forces.
      So what is the problem of making another port on Qt5 as LXQT, we don't have too many DE on Qt, but this one it will be better interface and programs, I mean if they are using old libraries Qt3 it will get stuck with the features that brings Qt5, this meaning you will have two different libraries on Qt desktop (same happen with Xfce, gtk2 almost unsupported for been old and gtk3).
      As example you have VLC player, so need Qt5 using as TKDE. I said they can make a better desktop. TKDE it will be as Mate and LXQT it will be as XFCE.
      As long they don' t use the Qml it use just Qt 5 it will be great choice for users. But must be a reason that I don't understand it. I said join forces because they are few dev on both project of course each one has different goals that I understand made them different projects.

Comment

Originally posted by raonlinux View Post
        why not port it to Qt 5, do like Mate which so far is not bad option
        When Mate was forked from Gnome 2.x, Gnome was already mostly GTK3-compatible – the Gnome devs did that as preparation for Gnome 3. KDE3 has no Qt5 compatibility. They could try to port Qt4's Qt3Support library to Qt5 though.

Comment

Originally posted by awesz View Post
          The direction Linux's DEs should've stayed in: lean panels, standard widgets and time-tested concepts. Too bad Trinity is stuck with Qt 3.
          I honestly wouldn't mind a 2019 Archlinux style Build Your Own Desktop Shell / Build Your Own Pizza.

I really don't like the "take it or leave it" offers, I wish I could use stuff from Gnome and KDE without them being worlds apart and that I could simply choose a start menu, a panel, a status menu without the whole BUY N LARGE style where you go to the software store for a panel and come out with a brand new plasmoid dashboard.

Comment

In my opinion, the developpers of TDE have done the better choise, to fork the qt3 libraries. The Linux world don't have an open source, free, gui libraries (well, the Gtk libs are stricly related to Gnome only, and Qt libs are not completely open source and free). Why this "bug" ? I hope the TDE will not follow Gnome nor Kde with their complicated, heavy and buggy DEs. I always hated Arts (it was always disables when I used Kde3 time ago, too buggy). A complete network manager applet and program are needed. Lastly, many libraries should be dropped.

Considered this: what is changed from Windows 95 (or from the firse Apple DE) to modern operation systems from the point of view of the DE? Almost nothing. We have always a bottom or upper bar with a menu button and a system tray, icons on the desktop, a file manager and a program that let users change some preferences. With time, they became more and more heavy, also in the Linux world. Heavy doesn't mean better, heavy means buggy. Commercial programs must be heavy to justify their high price, open source and free programs do not need to be heavy or complicated or just visually nice, they need to be useful, even simple.

--------
            English is not my language
            Last edited by Guest; 01 April 2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
              Ii don't really understand why this project exists anymore, especially since the latest plasma releases have been really solid.
              Mate equivalent of the KDE world

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf

The main difference is that Mate doesn't depend on any deprecated toolkits or libraries unlike Trinity.
                TDE doesn't depend on any deprecated libraries, it depends on its own library, the tqt-x11-free.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf

The main difference is that Mate doesn't depend on any deprecated toolkits or libraries unlike Trinity.
                  They forked Qt3, so they are maintaining it themselves. How is something they maintain themselves "deprecated"?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

They forked Qt3, so they are maintaining it themselves. How is something they maintain themselves "deprecated"?
                    Well other than having about 200 less employees caring about it... TQT is an effort by a very small team mostly Timothy Pearson and some loyal diehards.

Comment

It's a QT 3.x environment, so what?

These days it's a bunch of jumped up tools that think it's cool to break old functionality and they lobby to get rid of it. That's the thing about X11, you can use whatever the Hell you want. 20 year old programs, even, if you wish to. For example, I've still got stuff linked against GTK+ 1.2 and I don't need anybody's approval to use it.

I'm using Trinity V14.06 right now, I switched from Plasma 5.15 on my main rig. I like Plasma 5, but only because I hated KDE 4. I got away from KDE then. I always preferred the KDE 3.5.x environment and I'm happy to be able to run this on a modern system. Keramik shaped window decorations, fine grained configuration and appearance settings etc.

I don't know what I'm supposed to care about more than that. There is nothing dysfunctional about this, it's being maintained so it can function on modern systems. It works with modern dbus, it has proper system tray functionality for applications (e.g. Steam, game clients that run through WINE etc.). You don't have to run the artsd sound server either, there's this thing called pulseaudio that people have been using.

Comment

Working...
                      X