Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 66 Arrives - Blocks Auto-Playing Sounds, Hides Title Bar By Default For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by George99 View Post
    CSD is really great! have already disabled the title bar and menu bar in FF 60 ESR and also in Thunderbird. But there is one problem: in FF I can get the menu bar when needed with ALT, but not in Thunderbird.
    Having to use ALT sucks. One thing that the KDE developers did right was implementing a sane keyboard shortcut in most KDE apps for showing/hiding the menubar: Ctrl + M. It would be great if other apps would also adopt that.

Leave a comment:

• Raploz
    replied
    It seems the problem with shadows missing on KDE is because Gnome is rendering shadows in a non-standard way, and Kwin developers don't wanna implement hacks in order to support CSD windows with shadows. Here's where they discuss it: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=379637

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Your shit stops when you stop writing.

I don't know if you'll understand this, but "No company name" isn't a single contributor.

(Thus, your evidence proves their point that Red Hat is the single largest contributor.)

Leave a comment:

• motang
    replied
    Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

I use Firefox CSD on Plasma and it works great.
    Last time I checked it did not look good on Plasma. I will have to try with version 66.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied

Your shit stops when you stop writing.

I said largest single contributor.

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied
    I wonder what's happening on KDE. If I understand things correctly, Firefox with CSD just uses GTK to draw a shadow. So if the KDE environment just sets an appropriate GTK theme, things should look fine. Just as QT apps look fine on Gnome (at least on fedora and ubuntu).

To me this sounds like a distribution issue. Distributors should make sure that GTK apps use the current QT/KDE theme.
    Last edited by treba; 19 March 2019, 12:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Solid state drives wear when constantly compiling software.
    Of all the reasons you could pick why you don't want to compile yourself, you pick the lamest one. Congrats, your post really gave me a chuckle there. Even with the additional wear caused by compiling software, a solid state drive will last years and years and years and years before it gives in. If you're really paranoid though, here's a really, really, really simple solution - compile on a mechanical hard drive.

Leave a comment:

• lectrode
    replied
    Not sure what all the fuss is about (first couple pages of comments). I've had Firefox with the titlebar disabled since that was first an option. Looks fine to me. It uses the same space for the tabs as the minimize/maximize/close buttons. Using Xfce 4.13 + compiz (gtk3, not gtk3-classic/mushrooms): screenshot

Or are the people complaining about it using a specific desktop? (Does it not look like this in KDE?)

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied

You use toys like bluetooth headsets then. A real gaming/multimedia computer does not use pulseaudio or any other crappy redhat software.
    Can we please just have one thread where you don't have a shit on it?

By the way, Red Hat is the largest single contributor to the Linux kernel, so I guess you don't use Linux?

Maybe Phoronix needs a Code of Conduct.

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    ...huh? Who said anything about increasing font size and margins?
    He's talking about general trends in modern UI design, where everything is biiiiiiig, with huge margins around everything. Firefox isn't immune to this - in the Customize panel, there are three settings - Compact, Normal, Touch. Or as I like to call them - Big, Huge, Ginormous. Yeah, even the so called "compact" setting is actually biiiiiig, due to all the margins around everything.

Firefox is dead silent without pulseaudio.
    Not true. Firefox still supports Alsa just fine. It's a compile-time option though, and distros opt to not use it. But if you really want Alsa, compile yourself and you'll have it.

The official Mozilla stance is that the Alsa option is still there but won't be looked after, so when it breaks, it breaks. But there are at least some devs that do look after it, because there were code changes that make Alsa continue to work _after_ that official stance was put into place.
    Last edited by Gusar; 19 March 2019, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X