Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 66 Arrives - Blocks Auto-Playing Sounds, Hides Title Bar By Default For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

The issue is that Firefox says: I am NOT an application but an embedded window, so draw no borders! KWin then does what it is told and draws no borders.
    This is my main concern. Desktop environments make default decisions and give control to users to modify some of those defaults. But they can't behave correctly if applications start playing the game of fooling the desktop environment. I think that with the rules we have, it should not be up to Firefox to decide whether or not to show the title bar by default in my desktop environment.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post

Even on the task bar button?
      I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the "task bar button".
      I attached a screen shot comparing right click on the titlebar (left of the minimize button, top) and on the same area when the titlebar is disabled

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        He's talking about general trends in modern UI design, where everything is biiiiiiig, with huge margins around everything. Firefox isn't immune to this - in the Customize panel, there are three settings - Compact, Normal, Touch. Or as I like to call them - Big, Huge, Ginormous. Yeah, even the so called "compact" setting is actually biiiiiig, due to all the margins around everything.
        On a 13" laptop screen, trying to move a pointer with a jittery touchpad, it's not too big at all.

Comment

I love that the title bar is gone, such a waste of space when vertical screen space is so limited. But sometimes I missed to be able to easily read the page title and wished the current tab "title area" to be stretched horizontally all-over

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

On a 13" laptop screen, trying to move a pointer with a jittery touchpad, it's not too big at all.
            Why is your touchpad jittery? Fix the driver settings. Sounds like you have too high an acceleration, or too high base speed (or use the nipple like us real man babies).

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
              I attached a screen shot comparing right click on the titlebar (left of the minimize button, top) and on the same area when the titlebar is disabled
              I noticed this, too, but it's still possible to use a shortcut like (with Gnome 3) Super + Shift + PgUp/Dwn.
              EDIT: or use SUPER und right mouse click anywhere in the window to get that menu.
              Last edited by George99; 20 March 2019, 06:21 AM.

Comment

This doesn't apply to me since I use tabs on bottom.
                But for the short period I had it activated (when tabs on bottom was temporarily broken with FF65), dragging the window with the tab bar full (which is the case 100% of the time for me) can be a real hassle.
                Last edited by Mez'; 20 March 2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Muting auto-playing audio is a nice addition, though, Firefox already had the added benefit of being able to mute specific tabs.
                  That along with stop auto-playing videos. Who the hell decided to allow this crap in the 1st place? I always deactivate video auto-play in FF (mostly for sound but it's also a waste of data and resources to download the video stream if I don't want it).
                  Using the Internet involves a shitload of different environments and for some (meetings, transports, etc..) we cannot embarrass ourselves or bother the others with having our computer or phone randomly and loudly playing some content.

Comment

Haven’t installed yet but I have high hopes for blocking auto play media. I can’t think of anything that irritates me more than getting blasted by audio or video for that matter when I don’t want to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Many people are feeling and use other people for their trash like above. A technical fact is that solid state drives do wear when writing. That is why it is good to check your logs that no software spams constantly like people with mental problems.
                      They also last for 10+ years while writing to them 24/7, 365 days a year. And that's just the warranty, meaning they'll likely last a lot longer in practice.

So yeah, it's completely ridiculous to worry about that.

Comment

Working...
                      X