Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 66 Arrives - Blocks Auto-Playing Sounds, Hides Title Bar By Default For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    He's talking about general trends in modern UI design, where everything is biiiiiiig, with huge margins around everything. Firefox isn't immune to this - in the Customize panel, there are three settings - Compact, Normal, Touch. Or as I like to call them - Big, Huge, Ginormous. Yeah, even the so called "compact" setting is actually biiiiiig, due to all the margins around everything.
    It would be better if Firefox adopted Vivaldi's UI scale setting by percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Solid state drives wear when constantly compiling software.
      Why are you even using an SSD in the first place? I thought you liked old school KISS stuff? So you should be using an HDD (or tapes).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Having to use ALT sucks. One thing that the KDE developers did right was implementing a sane keyboard shortcut in most KDE apps for showing/hiding the menubar: Ctrl + M. It would be great if other apps would also adopt that.
        Ctrl + M mutes sound in Firefox. ALT for the menu bar is somewhat a standard by Windows experience for most users.

Comment

Prove that. According to the set theory no company name is a group of contributors as are some of the redhat workers. Pulseaudio is not kernel software, other crap software are gnome3, networkmanager and systemd.
          And, by that logic, I could just as easily say that "'People who are fed up with debianxfce' is the single largest poster on Phoronix".

Red Hat gets to be listed as a single entity for the same reason that Iron Maiden or The Beatles get to be single entities. They're groups of people formally working together to achieve common goals and the group has a significant say in what they finally produce.

Having to use ALT sucks. One thing that the KDE developers did right was implementing a sane keyboard shortcut in most KDE apps for showing/hiding the menubar: Ctrl + M. It would be great if other apps would also adopt that.
          Using Alt is a clever extension of the much older convention of accelerator keys. (ie. Alt+F to open the file menu)

However, if they hadn't already bound it to Mute/Unmute Tab, I'd have no problem pushing Firefox to bind Ctrl+M to the option to toggle the menu bar's visibility that you'll find if you right-click a toolbar element without a menu of its own. (Given that they're finally starting to do work on key rebinding UIs, why not open a bug asking for it to be a bindable action?)

It would be better if Firefox would do a quick DE check right before showing the window. That way, it could show the title bar when it detects Plasma and hide it when it detects GNOME. Obviously, they can't add all DE's and WM's, but they could at least at a check for the most used DE's/WM's (i.e. GNOME, Deepin, Plasma, i3, Xfce, etc.).
          ...or show the titlebar on X11 and use the XDG-Decoration protocol to query what Wayland compositors want.

(I'm not a fan of detecting individual DEs, nor am I a fan of bending over backwards to support the one mainstream DE that's found a way to be more alien than MacOS.)

Comment

You use toys like bluetooth headsets then. A real gaming/multimedia computer does not use pulseaudio or any other crappy redhat software.
            No actually I don't. I use PA because I have a surround system and straight-up ALSA is a straight-up pain in the ass to configure. PA is also good since I have multiple sets of speakers, where it's very easy for me to re-route audio from different programs to different speakers.

A real gaming/multimedia computer has all the necessary features to play whatever you want without headaches. PA used to be a steaming pile of garbage but it's actually quite useful now. BTW, that diagram you showed earlier is misleading. No wonder you hate PA so much.

Side note:
            How exactly are BT headsets toys? Pretty much the purpose of them was for business people. You might look like a tool wearing one, but they're not toys.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              I wonder what's happening on KDE. If I understand things correctly, Firefox with CSD just uses GTK to draw a shadow. So if the KDE environment just sets an appropriate GTK theme, things should look fine. Just as QT apps look fine on Gnome (at least on fedora and ubuntu).

To me this sounds like a distribution issue. Distributors should make sure that GTK apps use the current QT/KDE theme.
              The issue is that Firefox says: I am NOT an application but an embedded window, so draw no borders! KWin then does what it is told and draws no borders.

Comment

It would be better if Firefox would do a quick DE check right before showing the window. That way, it could show the title bar when it detects Plasma and hide it when it detects GNOME. Obviously, they can't add all DE's and WM's, but they could at least at a check for the most used DE's/WM's (i.e. GNOME, Deepin, Plasma, i3, Xfce, etc.).
                That would require the GTK developer writing the GTK port to admit non GNOME desktops exists...

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

Ctrl + M mutes sound in Firefox. ALT for the menu bar is somewhat a standard by Windows experience for most users.
                  ALT is what you use to move the window when it doesn't have a border.

Comment

Solid state drives wear when constantly compiling software.
                    Your keyboard wears from all the repetitive stupidity you type, but unfortunately, that doesn't stop you.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

The issue is that Firefox says: I am NOT an application but an embedded window, so draw no borders! KWin then does what it is told and draws no borders.
                      But then KDE doesn't let it draw shadows.
                      Last edited by Britoid; 19 March 2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X