Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 66 Arrives - Blocks Auto-Playing Sounds, Hides Title Bar By Default For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Better to save more vertical space to be able to increase the font size and margins (i.e. actual wasted space) some more.

I mean, when we'll have 1 character filling up the entire browser window, we won't be able to increase the font size anymore, and that's bad, anti modern design guidelines!
    ...huh? Who said anything about increasing font size and margins?

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

I use Firefox CSD on Plasma and it works great.
      Maximized or what? Because on every KDE distro I've used (now Manjaro, but previously Neon), you lose borders and shadows, which looks awful when not maximized.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I personally think it's more idiotic to have a redundant set of minimize, maximize/restore, and close buttons where the title bar basically just wastes vertical screen space.
        Not if you lose windows borders and shadows as a result, which you do on KDE, which is why it is idiotic to to remove the titlebar by default. Gnome users can change it if they want, as well as KDE users who don't mind ugly windows without shadows or borders.

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
          molecule-eye, I don't use KDE but GNOME and see nothing... Maybe try describe a little bit more what I should see and why you call it 'idiotic'.
          On KDE you use lose borders and shadows which looks terrible and makes the window hard to distinguish.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Firefox is dead silent without pulseaudio. That is why it is crap.

Google engineers are more clever, Chrome/Chromium supports the Alsa audio and window buttons use the same space as tabbed web pages.
            Google has way more resources than Firefox (though admittedly I don't know how much they devote to browser development compared to mozilla), so they might be able to maintain obsolete audio backends that only crusty old folk use.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post

On KDE you use lose borders and shadows which looks terrible and makes the window hard to distinguish.
              Seems like a KDE problem.

Comment

Firefox is dead silent without pulseaudio. That is why it is crap.

Google engineers are more clever, Chrome/Chromium supports the Alsa audio and window buttons use the same space as tabbed web pages.
                Or just use apulse if you really hate PA that much. I personally don't give a crap since I find the benefits of PA heavily outweigh the cons.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  ...huh? Who said anything about increasing font size and margins?
                  He's talking about general trends in modern UI design, where everything is biiiiiiig, with huge margins around everything. Firefox isn't immune to this - in the Customize panel, there are three settings - Compact, Normal, Touch. Or as I like to call them - Big, Huge, Ginormous. Yeah, even the so called "compact" setting is actually biiiiiig, due to all the margins around everything.

Firefox is dead silent without pulseaudio.
                  Not true. Firefox still supports Alsa just fine. It's a compile-time option though, and distros opt to not use it. But if you really want Alsa, compile yourself and you'll have it.

The official Mozilla stance is that the Alsa option is still there but won't be looked after, so when it breaks, it breaks. But there are at least some devs that do look after it, because there were code changes that make Alsa continue to work _after_ that official stance was put into place.
                  Last edited by Gusar; 19 March 2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

You use toys like bluetooth headsets then. A real gaming/multimedia computer does not use pulseaudio or any other crappy redhat software.
                    Can we please just have one thread where you don't have a shit on it?

By the way, Red Hat is the largest single contributor to the Linux kernel, so I guess you don't use Linux?

Maybe Phoronix needs a Code of Conduct.

Comment

Not sure what all the fuss is about (first couple pages of comments). I've had Firefox with the titlebar disabled since that was first an option. Looks fine to me. It uses the same space for the tabs as the minimize/maximize/close buttons. Using Xfce 4.13 + compiz (gtk3, not gtk3-classic/mushrooms): screenshot

Or are the people complaining about it using a specific desktop? (Does it not look like this in KDE?)

Comment

Working...
                      X