KDE Plasma 5.16 Will Let You Reboot Into The UEFI Setup Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    The reboot to UEFI is a nice addition! Once I couldn't trigger it with the keyboard (thank you Asus) and I wasted a lot of time to get into the firmware again. But the implementation should have been done in KDE now like on Android, activate it once and then you get options after pressing the reboot menu. With this implementation you now have to always visit first the systems setting application before rebooting. Anyway it is a good improvement!

Whenever I read "crash fixed for Discover or Baloo" I wish KDE would have a experimental branch that is disabled by default! They really should be shipped only when they are stable because so far they created just frustration with Plasma.
    There are many motherboards that take advantage of UEFI and enable such a fast boot process, that you actually don't have the time to hit Del (or whatever). So yeah, a nice QoL improvement.

Comment

And for those of us who don't use KDE...
      Code:
      systemctl reboot --firmware-setup
      Last edited by Slithery; 17 March 2019, 06:40 AM.

Comment

This is very cool, but I would rather want a "Reboot into Windows 7" option on my laptop without caring if the BIOS is UEFI or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          This is very cool, but I would rather want a "Reboot into Windows 7" option on my laptop without caring if the BIOS is UEFI or not.
          What bootloader do you use? Grub can handle this with the grub-reboot command.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post
            I always emit a sigh of despair at "bugs" and comments posted like this that imply this happens to every user every single time - if this were really the case then no-one would be able to use KDE at all. When people post his sort of nonsense to justify their choices then Saying "just don't use it" as in "Don't use KDE" is really a good response. Of course KDE is useable.
            I did not mean to say people shouldn't use KDE. What I am saying is that I do not use KDE because I like to auto-hide my panels and be able to drag and drop files from a file-manager to a playlist window - which is something really basic KDE can't do (you can have one or the other but not both). I am also saying that the result of "bugs are fine, live with them, configure around them, disable the problematic defaults" and things like that is that some people, including myself, find something that works instead of messing around trying to find the root cause of bugs & reporting them.

It should also be mentioned that most people will probably just say screw this buggy shit and forget KDE instead of finding the cause of bugs & opening bug reports (or adding to existing). I actually do this even though I don't use KDE (and most of those are still open, some have been for years).

If you can live with the bugs then great, use it. If it works for you then it's all good. For me it's not a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

There are many motherboards that take advantage of UEFI and enable such a fast boot process, that you actually don't have the time to hit Del (or whatever). So yeah, a nice QoL improvement.
              I know this very well. A Gigabyte board that I have doesn't let you enter the setup after you set the speed boot active. The only solution AFAIK is reset the BIOS. I hope this new option on KDE can help with that, because a power up to desktop in a couple seconds is indeed very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post

I did not mean to say people shouldn't use KDE. What I am saying is that I do not use KDE because I like to auto-hide my panels and be able to drag and drop files from a file-manager to a playlist window - which is something really basic KDE can't do (you can have one or the other but not both). I am also saying that the result of "bugs are fine, live with them, configure around them, disable the problematic defaults" and things like that is that some people, including myself, find something that works instead of messing around trying to find the root cause of bugs & reporting them.

It should also be mentioned that most people will probably just say screw this buggy shit and forget KDE instead of finding the cause of bugs & opening bug reports (or adding to existing). I actually do this even though I don't use KDE (and most of those are still open, some have been for years).

If you can live with the bugs then great, use it. If it works for you then it's all good. For me it's not a choice.
                I just tested it (KDE Neon distro and up to date SMplayer) and indeed, it hide the playlist window. However:

1- if you just hover the mouse pointer (while dragging the file) over the SMplayer button on the taskbar, the playlist window will reappear;

2- If you use the option of embedded playlist on the SMplayer window (just drag it to the side), you can drag you file to the playlist without it disappearing.

Comment

You're still missing rtfazeberdee's point:
                  Your experience isn't everyone's. Your thoughts on what makes something a bug could be a total non-issue to some people, possibly even preferred. That doesn't make your opinions wrong but that doesn't mean KDE is the "buggy shit" you think it is.
                  That being said, as a regular KDE user, I don't "live with the bugs" because none of the ones you mentioned affect me. Of course, I'm not saying my anecdote means "these bugs don't exist" because that'd be absurd of me to say. My point is, you're treating these bugs as though everyone has them and just deal with them, which isn't the case.

As for bugs that are several years old, pretty much every piece of software as complex as KDE has such bugs. Hell, even something as known-for-stability as XFCE has bugs going back 10 years.

Comment

I'm just going to say, as an SMPlayer user, it has its share of issues. It's still my favorite video player, but it isn't perfect.

The biggest issue I have is its add file dialog won't show files from any newly mounted drives while SMPlayer is running...like say you're watching a video from ~/Videos/some.mp4, do zpool import videos, and when you browse to /pools/videos from within SMPlayer it won't show anything at all. If you restart SMPlayer /pools/videos will be populated. I mount certain drives as necessary (why run a video or music storage drive 100% of the time?) so that little bug gets damn annoying.

As far as KDE's bugs go, certain ones are known and distribution maintainers are expected to ship with the workarounds in place (certain balooctl tweaks for an example). I'll admit, that is kind of crappy and I think they should be configured like that by default until working properly, but, then again, working around bugs is the job of a distribution maintainer because the KDE devs don't know if it'll be used on some LTS base like RHEL or Ubuntu some some bleeding edge distro like Arch or Tumbleweed.

But no desktop is perfect. XFCE requires an Xorg.conf in 2019 to prevent screen tearing...especially when scrolling the Phoronix forums in Firefox. I consider that to be a pretty major bug since it isn't necessary with Gnome, KDE, or even Sway. For a laugh, XFCE using KWin as the window manager doesn't need my 20-amdgpu.conf to fix screen tearing when the KWin compositor is active.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I just tested it (KDE Neon distro and up to date SMplayer) and indeed, it hide the playlist window. However:

1- if you just hover the mouse pointer (while dragging the file) over the SMplayer button on the taskbar, the playlist window will reappear;

2- If you use the option of embedded playlist on the SMplayer window (just drag it to the side), you can drag you file to the playlist without it disappearing.
                      tl;dr: some distros break hard KDE for no apparent reason. Stick to OpenSUSE, Mageia or Neon.

Comment

Working...
                      X