Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.16 Will Let You Reboot Into The UEFI Setup Screen

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.16 Will Let You Reboot Into The UEFI Setup Screen

Similar to Microsoft Windows, KDE Plasma 5.16 is picking up an option on the shutdown screen for letting users reboot into their UEFI setup screen where supported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KWin developers are discussing how to fix subsurface issues on Wayland here: https://phabricator.kde.org/T10530

Comment

This is a feature i would love gnome to pick up

Comment

Booting to the UEFI menu is the least of my concerns since I don't ever touch it anymore after I make my settings to it.

What the KDE developers should be working on is how Spectacle cannot take screenshots if KWIN_COMPOSE=Q is set.

Even on a dual Xeon and dual Operaton machine, using LLVM to run Plasma under OpenGL is painfully slow (I have a Quadro card which causes an instant system lock up on Plasma), and the only way to get a usable Plasma environment under Wayland is to set KWIN_COMPOSE=Q so that a pixel-based CPU renderer is used instead.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
          I wonder what's the majority. Plasma users on HiDPI displays, or Plasma users on tablets?
          Laptop with 4K @12" touchscreen here.

The question is nonsense though for 2 reasons: Gwenview is not part of Plasma, and the contributor of the touchscreen support was perfectly free to choose what to work on in their free time. In the future that support may be moved into Frameworks, in order to let applications like okular benefit as well.
          Last edited by genstorm; 17 March 2019, 04:08 AM.

Comment

The reboot to UEFI is a nice addition! Once I couldn't trigger it with the keyboard (thank you Asus) and I wasted a lot of time to get into the firmware again. But the implementation should have been done in KDE now like on Android, activate it once and then you get options after pressing the reboot menu. With this implementation you now have to always visit first the systems setting application before rebooting. Anyway it is a good improvement!

Whenever I read "crash fixed for Discover or Baloo" I wish KDE would have a experimental branch that is disabled by default! They really should be shipped only when they are stable because so far they created just frustration with Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              Whenever I read "crash fixed for Discover or Baloo" I wish KDE would have a experimental branch that is disabled by default! They really should be shipped only when they are stable because so far they created just frustration with Plasma.
              No one is forced to use either of them, so the frustration can only last as long as it takes you to disable those features.

Comment

Originally posted by genstorm View Post
                No one is forced to use either of them, so the frustration can only last as long as it takes you to disable those features.
                That's not really a useful response to a valid criticism. Here's another one you might feel compelled to respond to:

kde plasma's panel has items functioning like an utility window. auto-hiding the panel does not work if kwin isn't configured to hide utility windows.
                smplayer's palylist window, among other useful windows, is classified as an utility window. open smplayer and it's playlist side-by-side with a file-manager like dolphin with hiding of utility windows and you'll find that the window you'd like to drag files to disappears when you click the file-manager. this can be fixed by setting kwin to not hide utility windows, in which case panel auto-hiding doesn't work. kwin's maintainer considers this not-his-bug, and nobody else can be bothered to look at it.

As you say, nobody is forcing me to use KDE, so I don't, and my frustration with this only lasts about 2 minutes when I occasionally, increasingly rarely, see if KDE has become anywhere near usable. It's not. Of course, Baloo using 100% CPU and IO for hours on end unless you disable it doesn't exactly help with all the bugs KDE has that makes me stick with XFCE4 - because it works, it's not got anywhere near the amount of features but the ones it does have actually work. I can auto-hide my panel AND drag files between playlist windows and file-managers. And so on.

Saying "just don't use it" as in "Don't use KDE" isn't really a good response to criticism. It's not something that encourages people who don't use it for various reasons to switch or even try it for a few days.
                Last edited by xiando; 17 March 2019, 05:12 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Your decision not to use Plasma (KDE is a community) is perfectly fine. But between that decision and smplayer I personally would clearly switch to a non-broken mediaplayer instead.

Baloo and Discover are not essential at all, and they are not even installed on this system of mine. Then, choosing Xfce over Plasma because it does not have bugs in features it does not provide, is like avoiding a restaurant for having too big of a menu.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                    when I occasionally, increasingly rarely, see if KDE has become anywhere near usable. It's not. Of course, Of course, Baloo using 100% CPU and IO for hours on end unless you disable it doesn't exactly help with all the bugs KDE has that makes me stick with XFCE4 .
                    I always emit a sigh of despair at "bugs" and comments posted like this that imply this happens to every user every single time - if this were really the case then no-one would be able to use KDE at all. When people post his sort of nonsense to justify their choices then Saying "just don't use it" as in "Don't use KDE" is really a good response. Of course KDE is useable.

Comment

Working...
                    X