No announcement yet.

The Faster & More Beautiful GNOME 3.32 Has Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Gnome, with the proper extensions. Most complaints people have with the interface can be solved by installing one or two extensions. The out of the box experience is pretty minimal... as it should be. The latest version works great on my (8 inch) tablet too, thanks to fractional scaling.
    My only gripe is the on screen keyboard: It is a mobile keyboard and I cannot enable a more functional layout: I need function keys, Escape, Tab, Caps Lock, Ctrl, Super, Alt and cursor keys, otherwise I can't use a terminal or code editor without a bluetooth keyboard. Right now, I can only do this on Windows 10 with bash and that is far from ideal.

Thankfully, it seems that the issue is being worked on: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/409

With a bit of luck, I will finally be able to use Gnome 3.34 or 3.36 on my tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by jamdox View Post
      How's the RAM usage? Is it usable on a machine with 4GB RAM and integrated graphics?
      It works great for me using Intel integrated graphics.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      How on earth can a full screen start menu be beautiful in a 28 inch 4K monitor? The Gnome3 desktop humiliates users.
      Yes, this is the same reason why everyone hated Windows 8.

Originally posted by ihatemichael
      Will this be on Ubuntu 19.04?
      Yes.

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post
      I share similar experience except I consider Windows UI as the worst crap ever.
      I think Windows have a good UI.
      Windows 7 and 10 have a good UI.
      Windows 8 was bad, but I really like Windows 10.

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
      Spend a lot of time staring at the start menu, do you? I can't say I've really looked at it in years of using Gnome... it's just something you occasionally interact with without really paying much attention to..
      No, not a lot but every time you do it goes fullscreen and whatever you were looking at disappears, so it causes a context switch in your brain.
      Windows 8 also had this fullscreen start menu screen, but it was so hated they brought back the start menu in Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by jamdox View Post
        How's the RAM usage? Is it usable on a machine with 4GB RAM and integrated graphics?
        I used it last year on a Dell Inspiron 14 5458 w/ 8 GB of RAM DDR3, Intel Core I3-5005u processor, SATA SSD and Intel HD Graphics 5500. It was usable, but animations were laggy and I couldn't play any games I could on a lighter DE.

Now I switched to a desktop with i3-8100, 8GB DDR4 RAM, SATA SSD and Intel UHD Graphics 630. Animations stutter less, but they're not smooth.
        Will be installing an RX 560 graphics next. Should help a bit.

Comment

I find Gnome horrible not beautiful, and I am using that word because I abhor pretty much every UI design approach they have taken from the moment Gnome 3 came to be. It is like they defy common sense intentionally in a pursue to be different. It does not work. Gnome workflow is broken from the ground up. If they ever do a Gnome 4 they should admit it has been a failed experiment and bring back common sense. I don't have time to go in the details, they are so many. But man, I hate this thing and unfortunatelly by being backed by redhat it has became entrenched the Linux space so tight and because of this it does so much damage to the goal of making this OS mainstream.

Comment

It's just ridiculous now.
            what they made of the desktop is just unusable.
            now they have the next part removed the top bar ...
            the drugs that these developers take are really not recommended to anyone
            how do they come up with such a crazy idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Spend a lot of time staring at the start menu, do you? I can't say I've really looked at it in years of using Gnome... it's just something you occasionally interact with without really paying much attention to..
              No, but if I forget the name of something or just installed it and don't know its terminal command, I'd rather have a start menu that overlays on my current workflow versus a full screen app launcher that, to me, is especially jarring and disruptive on a 49" 16:9 TV.

That and the lack of a system tray are my issues with Gnome. Outside of that it really isn't that bad looking of a desktop and it can be made into a decent workstation that suits my workflow with the right plugins. Running Arch two years ago, Gnome updated, some plugins didn't, and my user experience went to hell. That's why I'd like the Gnome devs to implement some of the most popular plugins. I could see myself as a Gnome user if, OOTB, it could be configured to act like a more traditional desktop. Plugin update hell sucks regardless of the platform...game mods, etc fit into that category.

Frankly, XFCE and KDE would benefit from their programs looking more unified and consistent. That's probably the nicest thing about Gnome. Love it or hate it, at least they're trying to be consistent. Personally, I'm a geek and I dislike their minimalist, tablet-like approach; I like being bombarded with advanced configurations and options, but I do understand dumbing it down so the average person can use it as well as why they'd pick a UI that mimics Android. It makes sense to mimic a UI that 90% of people have experience with and is easy to pickup and figure out.

It's not my cup of tea, but I get it. I just hope they remember the desktop.
              Last edited by skeevy420; 14 March 2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

no gnome 3.32 in buster

Comment

I really can't see how people argue GNOME to be unusable. I used Windows for more than 10 years before switching to Linux in 2012, and I liked it, but when I installed Linux for the first time on my machine (Arch Linux, I think it was GNOME 3.4 or 3.6) I just got charmed by the superior UI/UX. It was the first DE I tried, but after trying all mainstream DEs none of them was better than GNOME.

Today, GNOME is still the best DE. Pantheon is nice too, Budgie and Cinnamon are usable. XFCE and KDE are ugly and unpolished (at least XFCE is light, but it's also outdated). If I want a polished experience I use GNOME, Pantheon, Budgie. If I want something light and fast, I use a light WM (looking forward to testing Sway). The shitty in-betweens stay out of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Buntolo View Post
                    I can do a lot of stuff faster using keyboard instead of mouse.
                    G3 can't do anything like it, it doesn't have a right-click menu,
                    So which is it? Is it that it doesn't let you do things with a keyboard, or is it that it doesn't have the mouse-driven interface you want?

As a sidenote, when I want to launch a program in Gnome 3, I tap that key between ctrl and alt and I type part of the name of the program and I smack enter, and there's the program. Nice, neat, no mouse-touchy. There's a ton of keyboard-based shortcuts for doing things with windows that I don't really use, though, because I don't typically need to. Move a window to the next screen down? No idea what combo that is, but I know it exists, because I remember looking at the shortcuts list before.

Are you sure the problem is Gnome 3 and not a user's unwillingness to learn a new system? Us IT folks should know all about users being unwilling to adapt to new systems and processes.

Comment

Nothing is better than unity, fast usable with great integration. Good with hdpi monitors for many years

Comment

Working...
                      X