The Faster & More Beautiful GNOME 3.32 Has Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buntolo View Post
    Do they want me to keep a messy desktop?
    Maybe move stuff to a different virtual desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

A taskbar listing is like Windows 95.
      Internet Explorer || File Manager || Real Player || Winzip

Most UI's have moved away from that model.. with the exception of Mate, Cinnamon and XFCE. (Windows 10 and KDE are hybrids) (including Phone OS's as they are important ot UI design) Today most use thumbnail images or expose like style.

Push pull with the mouse is simple. Pull the mouse towards you to the bottom of the screen and pay attention to your wrist as you do. as you pull into your wrist you'll notice tension. Now push it away to the top. You'll notice you can just extend your fingers to access that area. That means more frequent areas of the screen you use should be at the top. The sides and corners are also valuable real estate because they can be accessed by large sweeping movements, where as finding a small section in the middle of the screen uses fine motions.

Maybe take the Gnome Challenge.. use it for a week or two maybe with or without extensions to force yourself to learn hotkeys and motions.. it's def not a bad way to work.. but it is different. You have to be bold to do something different.. and a lot of ppl will be upset by it.. but if you want to move forward with your design.. Microsoft was unwilling to take that risk, Gnome was.
      After a while, you get used to GNOME's shortcuts and gestures. Nowadays I get lost more easily with a traditional taskbar than I do with the way GNOME shows all open windows with a gesture. Feels more natural, more human. But I get that it's a very risky move and stable/corporate owned distributions like Ubuntu should stick with something more traditional. GNOME shouldn't stop, but it also shouldn't be enforced as default when a user has to relearn everything about the interface.

Pantheon does this better, it hits the right spot between innovation and familiarity. Too bad it seems to be developed with a single distribution in mind, elementary OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Buntolo View Post

KDE looks to me what GNOME3 should be, it's way more powerful.

So you don't even use gnome-tweak-tool?
        I do but not a lot, mostly for theming and fonts. haha. One thing I do set is I always set double click on the title bar to minimize the window. So if I want an app to "go away" I just double click it. (maximizing is what it usually is but that is just drag to top.) Another extension I like is workspace auto scroll. so if you scroll your mouse over the wallpaper it gives you a new virtual desktop. (it's not required tho and of course there is ctl+alt (shift) up/down as well tho, that I use frequently to move windows between them.) The extension is just a shortcut if I don't want to move my hand from the mouse to the keyboard.

And yes KDE was for power, it always has been. For me right clicking on something and finding 30 options (25 of them I probably don't want) is distracting to me, but I can't say KDE is bad for everyone. It's quite a good desktop (when the launch bar is moved to the top lol) I forced myself to use it for year or so. (when plasma 5 came to FreeBSD) My biggest gripe is Dolphin though. I like Thunar and Nautilus the most.

I did check out Deepin desktop for a while and where as it looks great, and has a pretty good file manager.. I run FreeBSD mostly so it's not available to me. (yet) at work I use Mac OS X and it's.. ok.. decent. Finder sucks, most of the iApps suck hard and the hotkey/mouse gestures are confusing. but.. we needs all them commercial apps. for some reason.. Otherwise it's Unix and familiar.
        Last edited by k1e0x; 23 March 2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X