No announcement yet.

The Faster & More Beautiful GNOME 3.32 Has Been Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How on earth can a full screen start menu be beautiful in a 28 inch 4K monitor? The Gnome3 desktop humiliates users.

Comment

Will this be on Ubuntu 19.04?

Comment

I'm happy for GNOME and all the improvements and greatful for the hard work put out by Canonical employee (among others), especially improvements around gnome-shell and javascript backend, responsive and leaner UI is always great news for desktop users, having said this, I tested out latest 19.04 Disco Dingo daily ISO and the theme looked awfull, I do not like seeing topbar losing transparency and becoming black again in 19.04, overall Yaru theme and Suru icons is among the best combination in 18.10, but 19.04 had me vomit, it will need tons of tweaks to look somehow decent, jeez it is 2019. It appears that CSD idiocy is intensifying in 3.32 too, my stance is opposite, I believe in Server Side Decorations. It would make you think that by 3.32 they would convert all GNOME apps to have CSD, but there's still mix of both, some apps have good ol' menu bar while most are CSD already. I'm using KDE on 18.10 but I will be switching to GNOME 3.32 since it runs better on desktop with Nvidia graphics cards and it has EGLStreams support already baked in. I hate GNOME and I hate KDE, but GNOME at least has pretty sweet GVFS implementation and handles Samba shares nicely, while KDE's KIO isn't up to the bar, and there's 15 year old bug report about it https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75324. KDE is badly designed for out of the box expeirience, it is 2019 and it still has problems with baloo indexer eating all the RAM & putting unneeded strain on disks I/O, akonadi still requires a freaking mysql to aggregate some bulsh*it data, jeez. XFCE & Unity7 & Compiz & Win10 & MacOS are lit as always and dominating.
        Last edited by hax0r; 03-13-2019, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
          Will this be on Ubuntu 19.04?
          Yes 3.32 will be in Disco Dingo along with Linux 5.0.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            How on earth can a full screen start menu be beautiful in a 28 inch 4K monitor? The Gnome3 desktop humiliates users.
            Use a 49" 1080p TV and ask the same question. Gnome does not scale well with large screens.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

From my understanding it has been fine for a long time... but much improved in this release. unless you use nVidia graphics, when they can do any random thing to destroy your desktop experience.
              I was running it on a chromebook with an i5 and 4GB of RAM and it could only manage 5 or 10 open FireFox tabs at a time... switched to openbox and it uses 1/3 the RAM on startup.

Comment

Thumbs up to all the developers.

Comment

What I don't understand, is why RedHat uses gnome3 as the default desktop for Fedora. Don't they see how they lost thousands of users by doing that? Eventually they had to create "spins" to get some of them back (I use the cinnamon spin).

RedHat, wake up and smell the fsck'ing coffee

PS:
                  take a look at awesomewm, its stunning: https://github.com/awesomeWM/awesome/issues/1395

Comment

bash2bash Redhat, Canonical, Purism, Endless Mobile and others all ended up agreeing on one kernel, one init, one desktop. Sounds like a brilliant idea to me.

Now we just need one kind of packaging and one distribution model.

Comment

I hate GNOME and I hate KDE, but GNOME at least has pretty sweet GVFS implementation and handles Samba shares nicely, while KDE's KIO isn't up to the bar, and there's 15 year old bug report about it https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75324. KDE is badly designed for out of the box expeirience, it is 2019 and it still has problems with baloo indexer eating all the RAM & putting unneeded strain on disks I/O, akonadi still requires a freaking mysql to aggregate some bulsh*it data, jeez. XFCE & Unity7 & Compiz & Win10 & MacOS are lit as always and dominating.
                      I share similar experience except I consider Windows UI as the worst crap ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X