Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

That's a huge deal!
    Despite continuous posts saying that the next Gnome release will better support Wayland with the Nvidia binary, each release proves to be a disappointment.
    When will Gnome/Wayland work properly at full speed with the Nvidia binary?

(I get it, maybe my next GPU will be AMD, but Nvidia hardware has been superior for a long time.)
    That's because Nvidia is doing wrong, not Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
      That's because Nvidia is doing wrong, not Gnome.
      Just don't fool the userbase and honestly deny that eglstream mess like Sway/wlroots does.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Linux has a desktop now. Like a real desktop.
        And it doesn't even offer a real fucking desktop. What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Just don't fool the userbase and honestly deny that eglstream mess like Sway/wlroots does.
          What do you mean by deny? I didn't see ernstp denying anything.

It's true that AMD & Intel are going one way and Nvidia are going the other. Understandably, many Open Source developers don't want to spend time making custom code paths for handling Nvidia's awkward binary blobs. It's even worse when you consider that the awesome Nouveau devs desperately want to give us an Nvidia driver which takes the same path as Intel & AMD, but Nvidia are not doing the minimum level of co-operation to allow it to happen.

The way to keep the userbase from being foolish, is by ensuring they know that it's unwise to purchase modern Nvidia hardware for use on GNU/Linux desktops.

Comment

My god did all the mentally ill log onat the same time this morning. This might surprise many here but on Linux you have options for a DE.

Comment

Originally posted by jamdox View Post
              How big is the reduction in RAM usage? Is it usable on a machine with 4GB RAM and integrated graphics?
              Haven't tried newer versions, but it certainly used to be... I ran Fedora with Gnome Shell on a crappy old Atom netbook for quite a few years, and it was no worse than any of the lighter-weight desktops on that hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by DeeZiD View Post

Runs smoother here than any other desktop here and doesn't have any tearing issues with NVIDIA cards.
                Also I love activities. No other desktop provides something like that.
                I've never seen the point of Activities for my personal use, or of the Unity dash at the time.

For open windows I switch between them faster with a mouse wheel scroll on the Dash-to-dock app icon (or alt-tab if fullscreen) to maximize it (or a click to minimize it). So did I in Unity.
                For starting frequent apps, I also use the launcher favorites in a much faster way (Unity then Dash-to-Dock) and Ctrl+space with Synapse (or standard alt+F2) is also noticeably faster to start a less frequently used app than searching between 5-6 drawers full of apps inconsistently named.

Now that I think of it, I completely deactivated Activities because it was irritating when clicking on it by mistakes. Hence I really don't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  Do you have a Nvidia card or what else?
                  Mainly that, yes. Needless to say, Nvidia won't see a penny from me anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X