A Look At The Many Improvements & New Features In GNOME 3.32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
    Fractional scaling support under Wayland only! Could you mention that at least once?
    That's a huge deal!
    Despite continuous posts saying that the next Gnome release will better support Wayland with the Nvidia binary, each release proves to be a disappointment.
    When will Gnome/Wayland work properly at full speed with the Nvidia binary?

(I get it, maybe my next GPU will be AMD, but Nvidia hardware has been superior for a long time.)

Comment

Originally posted by man-walking View Post
      Using Gnome nowadays is about to click double/triple times to access the things you reached easily in the past, the design obsession to hide everything...
      ​​​​​​ That big icons in the apps menu looks like a baby toy game, so inefficient also that sub-folders to group apps, vague and cumbersome at same time.
      You need just to install these 5 obligatory extensions to get a usable desktop.
      Don't worry it's not a thing of bad ux and design, it's of course intentional and you don't use the desktop wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

If we wanted a keyboard orientated desktop, we'd install Sway, Awesome, i3, etc.

IMHO, a major desktop suite needs to be easy to use with any setup a person likes. KDE and XFCE are just as easy with a mouse+keyboard as they are with just a keyboard since everything convenient and most used can usually be done within three clicks.

Personally, I prefer hitting F12, having a terminal drop down, and running arbitrary commands from there. I've had a lot of issues over the years with random programs deciding to bug out from typed out launchers and having to then run the command from a terminal to figure out my problems. I'd rather cut out the launcher BS and just run stuff from a terminal. Current program having that issue -- WattmanGTK. It doesn't start when using the AMD staging kernel. I should probably submit that as an issue...
        Tilix can do the F12 terminal that drops down.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

A lot of programs can. xfce-terminal has a drop-down mode, Yakuake is what I use with KDE, Guake with Gnome. There are more, but those are what I use. IIRC, Enlightenment can turn anything into a drop down program.

I wish the KDE devs would just add a drop down feature to Konsole and depreciate Yakuake. I haven't used Konsole in the past 7 years outside of "sudo pacman -S yakuake" and with programs that are hardcoded to use Konsole...actually, just Pamac now that I think about it.

What would be really cool -- if Alt+F2 commands automagically outputted to a hidden Konsole drop down terminal. It would save me a lot of bullcrap troubleshooting when stuff doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Loving your posts in this thread! I burst out laughing hard when you offered debianxfce a hug I actually seriously think that a lot of hugs are needed in this forum; or some kind of warmth and friendlyness at least. There's such an unnecessarily high level of aggression & drama over what often just boils down to simple mistakes or difference of opinions/preferences. I used to be more aggressive in the past, so I can relate to the people who are currently that way.

Regarding Tilix: thanks for mentioning it. It looks awesome. I have been using Tilda for a long time and this looks like a nice substitute for use on Wayland.

Comment

Performance increase is HUGE. Reported all bugs i had on my new Ryzen laptop and all of them got fixed. One remains and even then we found workaround until proper fix is in place. Once this is fixed GNOME will be even more smooth.

Comment

Is this hitting Fedora 29 or Fedora 30?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

... Redhat is a tool of microsoft and ibm to prevent Linux desktop success. That is the real reason for gnome3, pulseaudio, networkmanager and pulseaudio. Pro programmers do not design and implement so poor software unless forced.
                  The antivaxxxer/flath earther equivalent in the computing world

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

That's a huge deal!
                    Despite continuous posts saying that the next Gnome release will better support Wayland with the Nvidia binary, each release proves to be a disappointment.
                    When will Gnome/Wayland work properly at full speed with the Nvidia binary?

(I get it, maybe my next GPU will be AMD, but Nvidia hardware has been superior for a long time.)
                    That is up to Nvidia obviously. Supposedly they are still working on getting hw accelerated xwayland working but they have so many other bugs who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by man-walking View Post
                      That big icons in the apps menu looks like a baby toy game
                      You're supposed to be using GNOME3 on a tablet!

Comment

Working...
                      X