No announcement yet.

A Look At The Many Improvements & New Features In GNOME 3.32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't help but think a short video showing these would be really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
      Fractional scaling support under Wayland only! Could you mention that at least once?
      Does it support per-monitor scaling?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Very nice with the performance improvements. The animations are smoother. Unfortunately still last too long because the defined duration is too long, so you still have to wait.
        The animation is also this weird folding animation that feels rather awkward, and not smooth like a sliding animation.

I like GNOME 3.32, but unfortunately I've experienced some freezes and crashes of GNOME Shell. It could need some stability and reliability improvements. Every time I open a link in HexChat it seems to temporarily freeze GNOME Shell then reload GNOME Shell.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Does it support per-monitor scaling?
          It should. I can't test it though, since I can't use Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

It should. I can't test it though, since I can't use Wayland.
            Do you have a Nvidia card or what else?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

guys can you stop breaking my shitposting detector it's really annoying thanks

Comment

Using Gnome nowadays is about to click double/triple times to access the things you reached easily in the past, the design obsession to hide everything...
                ​​​​​​ That big icons in the apps menu looks like a baby toy game, so inefficient also that sub-folders to group apps, vague and cumbersome at same time.

Comment

Originally posted by man-walking View Post
                  Using Gnome nowadays is about to click double/triple times to access the things you reached easily in the past, the design obsession to hide everything...
                  ​​​​​​ That big icons in the apps menu looks like a baby toy game, so inefficient also that sub-folders to group apps, vague and cumbersome at same time.
                  It is a keyboard orientated desktop. Pressing CMD + start typing application name is the preferred way of launching applications.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Well implemented software runs in all machines, like the Xfce desktop. Redhat is a tool of microsoft and ibm to prevent Linux desktop success. That is the real reason for gnome3, pulseaudio, networkmanager and pulseaudio. Pro programmers do not design and implement so poor software unless forced.
                  Do you want a hug?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                    It is a keyboard orientated desktop. Pressing CMD + start typing application name is the preferred way of launching applications.
                    If we wanted a keyboard orientated desktop, we'd install Sway, Awesome, i3, etc.

IMHO, a major desktop suite needs to be easy to use with any setup a person likes. KDE and XFCE are just as easy with a mouse+keyboard as they are with just a keyboard since everything convenient and most used can usually be done within three clicks.

Personally, I prefer hitting F12, having a terminal drop down, and running arbitrary commands from there. I've had a lot of issues over the years with random programs deciding to bug out from typed out launchers and having to then run the command from a terminal to figure out my problems. I'd rather cut out the launcher BS and just run stuff from a terminal. Current program having that issue -- WattmanGTK. It doesn't start when using the AMD staging kernel. I should probably submit that as an issue...

Comment

Luckily no one uses these Vulkan / OpenGL fullscreen applications nowadays, so no need to fix any bugs with alt+tabbing:

Fullscreen games have a bar/border at the top when using ALT-TAB to switch into the game (I'm on Xorg). I'm not sure if this is a mutter or...

It says much about how Gnome is used when such bugs aren't fixed...
                      On the bright side, we have some better alternatives.

Comment

Working...
                      X