Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At The Many Improvements & New Features In GNOME 3.32

Phoronix: A Look At The Many Improvements & New Features In GNOME 3.32

Barring any last minute delays, GNOME 3.32 is expected to ship today as the latest six-month update to this popular open-source desktop environment. GNOME 3.32 personally has me quite excited more so for the improvements -- and bug fixes -- over "new" features, but here is a look at some of what there is to get excited about with this latest update to the GNOME 3 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's good to see the effort to make the best DE even better. Looking forward to it, specially performance/ram optimizations, but I think I'm going to wait to 3.34 because I like to accumulate improvements so I can see them clearly.

Good work, GNOME team!

Comment

Fix some bugs maybe? HiDPI scaling regularly breaks down, Windows suddenly are rendered at lowres and scaled up after screen blanking, Nautilus is extremely unreliable showing changed content of a directory (might be stuck at an old state), search is similarly broken (just run eg. a compilation in background).
      file operations copy/delete are abysmal slow and might break aswell, particularly with network shares (command-line never has these issues).

Cant imagine what a horrible mess this must be at its core.

Comment

+ visual overhaul, new icons

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          It must be masochistic to use the gnome3 desktop that is newer ready and bug free. This kind of a comment causes the Inquisition mode in gnome3 believers, see the following comments.
          I'll bite. "Believers" is the wrong word here. Software can exist regardless of whether you like it or not. Your choice of using the term "Believers" suggests that you view Gnome as some sort of faith. This makes me think that your unhealthy obsession with Linux is something you view as a religion. Do you have statues of Debian logos that you pray to at night?

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
            Fix some bugs maybe? HiDPI scaling regularly breaks down, Windows suddenly are rendered at lowres and scaled up after screen blanking, Nautilus is extremely unreliable showing changed content of a directory (might be stuck at an old state), search is similarly broken (just run eg. a compilation in background).
            file operations copy/delete are abysmal slow and might break aswell, particularly with network shares (command-line never has these issues).

Cant imagine what a horrible mess this must be at its core.
            Don't see a single of that problems on my machine, but hey, file bugs and help them get solved? I often see problems like this in the issue tracker (GS/mutter) being very specific to the hardware/setup.
            I guess one problem could be the mono-culture of hardware of the devs and power users. Most of them use up-to-date high quality hardware, while people with shitty hardware are often those who are much less likely to be able to file issues or even fix them. I rarely see stability problems on lenovo/dell/hp (quality) systems, while on cheap throw-away systems I'm often suprised how shitty things can go (often problems with power management / bad firmware)

Comment

Fractional scaling support under Wayland only! Could you mention that at least once?

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Don't see a single of that problems on my machine, but hey, file bugs and help them get solved? I often see problems like this in the issue tracker (GS/mutter) being very specific to the hardware/setup.
                I guess one problem could be the mono-culture of hardware of the devs and power users. Most of them use up-to-date high quality hardware, while people with shitty hardware are often those who are much less likely to be able to file issues or even fix them. I rarely see stability problems on lenovo/dell/hp (quality) systems, while on cheap throw-away systems I'm often suprised how shitty things can go (often problems with power management / bad firmware)
                Gnome is definitely not for power users, if I had the spare time to fix up thing, I would not touch Gnome but use Enlightenment.

Issue persists in both home (i7-4770 + RX-570) aswell as Work (some Xenon + Nvidia Dell PC) with dual screens each, I rather guess that neither the devs nor the happy Gnome users do anything but open Firefox on a single screen.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Well implemented software runs in all machines, like the Xfce desktop. Redhat is a tool of microsoft and ibm to prevent Linux desktop success.
                  Out of Gnome and Xfce I would still pick Gnome every day of the week, its pretty buggy aswell and dated (no wayland, no good HiDPI). Been on XFCE for close to a year...

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                    Gnome is definitely not for power users, if I had the spare time to fix up thing, I would not touch Gnome but use Enlightenment.

Issue persists in both home (i7-4770 + RX-570) aswell as Work (some Xenon + Nvidia Dell PC) with dual screens each, I rather guess that neither the devs nor the happy Gnome users do anything but open Firefox on a single screen.
                    Although I initially didn't like the GNOME3 UI I got used to it, and can consider myself a happy Gnome user, and I am using Gnome DE with i5 and a triple-monitor set-up (DELL laptop screen plus two additional DELL displays), and I am not seeing the issues (screen blanking, nautilus issues), so definitely not a single-screen Firefox user. It would be great if you could report bugs to help investigate.

Comment

Working...
                    X