GNOME 3.34 Release Schedule - Next Desktop Release Due Out On 11 September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.34 Release Schedule - Next Desktop Release Due Out On 11 September

Phoronix: GNOME 3.34 Release Schedule - Next Desktop Release Due Out On 11 September

With GNOME 3.32 now buttoned up for release next week, the developers are already getting ready to kick off the GNOME 3.34 development cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

codename "WTC Edition"

Comment

Personally, I am looking forward to more GNOME performance improvements particularly for Wayland and multi-monitor scenarios
      Funny that you wrote that, since that was exactly the points I was thinking about while reading the article. Another request could be that more of the settings/tweaks from the Gnome Tweaks application should be moved to the built-in configuration utilities, or even moving all of it into the ordinary configuration.
      For me, it's starting to feel a bit like "I just wan't it to work and be swift" regarding the DE. It would also be very interesting to see Vulkan being used as drawing API, to see if any performance improvements can be made. And working FreeSync on the desktop as well.

Comment

Same as Aspegath and Michael: I'd like to see performance improvements, wayland improvements & continual refinements of what already is.

Comment

What are you hoping to see with GNOME 3.34?
          #1 "Official"/non-experimental/non-beta remote desktop support via libmutter & GNOME Remote Desktop (meaning I don't need to compile my own mutter or set any special options).

#2 Separate out gnome-shell from gnome-session or do whatever it takes so that when gnome-shell crashes it doesn't take everything else along with it. Make it possible to restart gnome-shell and still get back into the running applications before gnome-shell/XWayland crashed.

#3 UI support for WireGuard.

#4 A "macos-like command-shift-5" equivalent to consolidate of all the screen-capture options into a small ui, so I don't have to remember if I need to modify the PrtScr key with a Ctrl or a Shift or an Alt if I just want it to go to the clipboard vs a file vs the whole screen vs a window vs drag-to-select; I can just pick what I want on the gui. Would love to see a way to do simple edits (crop, rotate, start up in editor of choice) from here as well.

#5 Fewer open issues carried over from release to release (let's set a low bar and say something like < 300 to start with, and then try raising the bar with each release).
          Last edited by browseria; 09 March 2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

For me, it is mostly performance. When I reboot or start up my Dell laptop, it is fast. But when I continue to use it for days without a reboot, it gets really laggy.

Interestingly, I don't noticed this much on my desktop, only on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              Same as Aspegath and Michael: I'd like to see performance improvements, wayland improvements & continual refinements of what already is.
              Same, and looking at GNOME's GitLab we can fairly safely assume this will happen. There are still a lot of enhancements and fixes being worked on for performance, particularly for Wayland and many of them are work in progress and won't be included in this release put hopefully will make it into the next one. Still, there is some nice stuff that made it into this release as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousTommy View Post
                For me, it is mostly performance. When I reboot or start up my Dell laptop, it is fast. But when I continue to use it for days without a reboot, it gets really laggy.

Interestingly, I don't noticed this much on my desktop, only on my laptop.
                The same happen to me. The desktop is sometimes put on for weeks without rebooting and without any problems but the laptop has to be restarted once a day. To be honest, this is maybe related to that on the desktop I use a older version of gnome (the one come with ubuntu GNOME 12.04) than on the laptop (the one that come with ubuntu 18.04).
                Last edited by aronwolf; 09 March 2019, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I'm feeling very optimistic about GNOME. GNOME 3.32 has gotten better with panels not getting clipped off when zoomed in GNOME 3.32 has gotten better with accessibility for those who have a visual impairment.

Although the one issue I ran into is with screen reader using Orca. PulseAudio is working fine but I get no sound whatsoever with espeak or espeak-ng. My primary sound system is my home theater receiver which connects through HDMI and I get audio from there. According to the sound settings, speech-dispatcher-espeak-ng does show up, but no sound is coming from screen reader at all. I tried using espeak-ng in the terminal and saw "eSpeak" shown up with volume at 100% but no sound coming out. Firefox and Zoiper is working fine with PulseAudio and that's about it. I have an NVIDIA GTX 960 graphics card, if that helps.

Comment

im pretty sure there is also suppose to be a New Designed Gnome-Shell in 3.34 ,

Comment

Working...
                    X