Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.31.92 Bring Fractional Scaling, Updated Screen-Casting API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.31.92 Bring Fractional Scaling, Updated Screen-Casting API

Phoronix: GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.31.92 Bring Fractional Scaling, Updated Screen-Casting API

One week ahead of the official debut of GNOME 3.32, the release candidate will be out this week and GNOME Shell along with the Mutter compositor have outed their 3.31.92 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME Shell is much faster and the animations are much smoother than before.
    Unfortunately, the duration of the animation is still too long.
    Also the animation is a rather ugly folding animation instead of a modern sliding animation.

Comment

phoronix Could you do a performance comparison between various graphics cards / CPUs on the performance of Gnome Shell 3.32 once ready? I guess there is some benchmarking possibilities (maybe measuring frames per second), while running various tasks in shell (e.g. opening the menu et cetera). Would be awesome if you could also include the POWER9 powered Talos II... Thank you in advance!

P.S.: It would also be very interesting to compare performance between different DEs (e.g. Gnome Shell vs KDE Plasma).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Yeah. A lot of UIs get that wrong. Even though the app is fast & responsive, it feels sluggish because the animations are slow.

Even though hollywood movies are notoriously bad at representing computer usage accurately, one thing they do well with, is nice interfaces! The UIs in movies are often dark, highly fast & responsive, clean and evidently have hotkeys to perform almost every action (the actors seem to be able to navigate the UIs at lightning speed; implying a sophisticated, vim-like hotkey/command system must be present).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          GNOME Shell is much faster and the animations are much smoother than before.
          Also the animation is a rather ugly folding animation instead of a modern sliding animation.
          you are right about that, you can fix it with this: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/277/impatience/
          i personally use 0,66

Comment

Fullscreen unredirect has been broken in 3.30.2. It will be fixed in the upcoming release: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/799 This means that Freesync and G-sync will work again (Ubuntu have applied patches for it, but not e.g. Fedora).

Comment

That's going to be a great release! Many optimizations and fixes all over the place. The only things I'm missing are some of vanvugts performance optimizations (for mouse movement and frame skipping) and per monitor refresh rates on wayland.

Comment

Those commits from van vugt take so damn long to get reviewed and merged..
                I was also hoping those would make it..
                I guess we'll have to wait another year then...

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                  Those commits from van vugt take so damn long to get reviewed and merged..
                  I was also hoping those would make it..
                  I guess we'll have to wait another year then...
                  I think that's down to his patches being built without much peer review and that they change some quite fundamental things and need to be checked for regressions.

Comment

Needing to download 10 extensions to get GNOME shell looking and running how I want is a pain, doesn't help that lots of the extensions never get updated and don't always work with latest gnome.

With Plasma desktop most things can be customised at a mouse click, and additions easily downloaded from same click, and work. Wish GNOME would learn from kde.

Comment

Working...
                    X