DAV1D v0.2 AV1 Video Decoder Released With SSSE3 & NEON Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAV1D v0.2 AV1 Video Decoder Released With SSSE3 & NEON Optimizations

Phoronix: DAV1D v0.2 AV1 Video Decoder Released With SSSE3 & NEON Optimizations

The DAV1D open-source AV1 video decoder is now much more capable on older PCs and ARM mobile devices with its second release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very interesting project, but it will still take some until feature complete.
    One thing I noticed is that they only seem to be using the accelerated code (avx2/ssse3) if dav1d is built without support for HDR video.

If you look at the code motion compensation and other parts are all hidden behind some BITDEPTH defines:
    dav1d is the fastest AV1 decoder on all platforms :) Targeted to be small, portable and very fast.

dav1d is the fastest AV1 decoder on all platforms :) Targeted to be small, portable and very fast.

Also some refactoring and more unit testing couldn't harm. The code base is quite hard to read if one is not a video codec expert.

Otherwise great project! I really appreciate their work and love to see the amazing the progress they make!

Comment

I enjoy watching HEVC become less and less relevant. HEVC, and the panhandlers who go around demanding money.

Comment

Originally posted by aelo View Post
        Very interesting project, but it will still take some until feature complete.
        One thing I noticed is that they only seem to be using the accelerated code (avx2/ssse3) if dav1d is built without support for HDR video.
        Yes, it is mentioned in the blogpost:
        "This is all on 8-bit content however, which is still the vast majority on most platforms. 10-bit, and later 12-bit, there isn’t assembly code in dav1d yet, that will be something to look forward to."

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
          I enjoy watching HEVC become less and less relevant. HEVC, and the panhandlers who go around demanding money.
          I don't have a problem with people demanding money for legitimate reasons, but I do have a problem with patent trolls and the MPEG-LA is one hell of a patent troll. VP9 and AV1 have already forced them to (grudgingly) soften their licencing policies on HEVC, but I will certainly celebrate on the day they go out of business once and for all.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            MPEG-LA is one hell of a patent troll
            There are three patent pools for HEVC, the other two being HEVC Advance and Velos Media. There are also a bunch of other patent holders who aren't in any of these pools.

It is difficult not to have some sympathy for the claim that the most important difference between a patent troll and a protection racket is that if two organised crime gangs demand money you can tell them about each other and soon be back to only having to deal with one of them.

Comment

I've never heard that claim before, but it's right on the money.

Comment

Working...
              X