KDE's Kate Picks Up New Features, KWin Crash Fix When Launching Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Kate Picks Up New Features, KWin Crash Fix When Launching Games

Phoronix: KDE's Kate Picks Up New Features, KWin Crash Fix When Launching Games

KDE developers remain quite busy in preparing for Frameworks 5.56, the next KDE Plasma 5.15 point release, and KDE Applications 19.04 for ensuring KDE is polished as ever with its forthcoming 2019 releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yeah, well, I just wanted to update KDE in our #t2sde, and OMG, Qt5 is about 500MB download and extracts to over 2 GB, ..! I have no words, … except, insane.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      yeah, well, I just wanted to update KDE in our #t2sde, and OMG, Qt5 is about 500MB download and extracts to over 2 GB, ..! I have no words, … except, insane.
      Yeah, but you're not going to be compiling everything in that tarball. That's the whole QT distribution bundled up, including sources for other platforms, tools and examples. There's binary shit in there like Windows executables and dlls, image data and audio etc. too.

Your results won't be that bloated.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        OMG... it's almost as if Qt as a whole package is a large platform framework that has some of the best documentation on the market rather than just a poorly documented small library... everyone run for their lives!

Grow up. It's 2019 not 1999, storage space is effectively infinite, especially on Linux where everything links against system libraries rather than their own local copies. You really think a measly 2 GB everyone is sharing matters when the average game is 50 GB, when Intellij is 1.5GB? You're offended over nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

OMG... it's almost as if Qt as a whole package is a large platform framework that has some of the best documentation on the market rather than just a poorly documented small library... everyone run for their lives!

Grow up. It's 2019 not 1999, storage space is effectively infinite, especially on Linux where everything links against system libraries rather than their own local copies. You really think a measly 2 GB everyone is sharing matters when the average game is 50 GB, when Intellij is 1.5GB? You're offended over nothing.
          GB for documentation, seriously? Does it include a couple of video tutorials or what? Where is the unlike button, … :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post

Yeah, but you're not going to be compiling everything in that tarball. That's the whole QT distribution bundled up, including sources for other platforms, tools and examples. There's binary shit in there like Windows executables and dlls, image data and audio etc. too.

Your results won't be that bloated.
            yeah documentation is insane. large XML bloat and whatnot. I had to disable documentation in gentoo. It takes up large space.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf

Your VPS host... running Qt Applications or a Qt based Desktop?
              Because QT is the only application with documentation?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Because QT is the only application with documentation?
                #1. Qt is not an application it's a Platform Framework in other words a large scale library that both abstracts away the underlying platform and provides a framework of functionality
                #2. I don't understand what you think your point is here, OP was whining about the size of the whole Qt-Sources package, and you come in here complaining about the size on a VPS, when Qt has nothing to do with the web or anything else you might be serving on a VPS, now you've shifted the goal posts to applications with documentation.

Comment

… of the best documentation on the market rather than just a poorly documented small library... …e, especially on Linux where everything links against system libraries rather than their own local copies.
                  that and:

qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/swiftshader/third_party/LLVM/

Comment

Good luck auditing such software. Nowadays hard drives offer up to 12-16 TB. Should the apps consume 1 TB already? I kind of thought the size of the executable is proportional to the functionality it provides, not some constant fraction of maximum disk space. My main complaint is, the kernel is only few megabytes (xz packed). Shouldn't the kernel use 500 GB already? After all it offers so much functionality and more importantly, my disk is 10 TB. I'm really expecting 500 to 1000 GB kernels already.

Comment

Working...
                    X