Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post

Still sounds like someone who hasn't tried KDE since 2015 or so...it actually uses around the same or LESS memory than XFCE these days...
    When I say 'Xfce,' it’s a good bet you think about a lean, responsive Linux desktop environment that’s particularly light on system memory usage. What about when I say 'KDE?' Prepare for some surprises. . .

It's not true. In my PC and Debian 10 Xfce uses 300/340 MB at idle. It also depends on other programs/applications are also installed. Kde5 still uses the double of ram.

Now I've been using Trinity for some months. It is much faster than other DEs because both the gtk3 and the qt5 libs are slow. I've also been using a different faster browser. The DE + file manager + Konsole (and the top command) + browser with three tabs opened (one is about the link above) use 820 MB.
    My PC has 8 Gb of ram, it is powerful, but I also see differences in daily usage regarding the performance. Overall Trinity uses less PC resources (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.).
    Pros: a lot of programs come with it.
    Cons: Some applications have still some issues; the file manager has one.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post
    Also, your "bug report" link is one of the most toxic, hostile reports I've ever seen.
    Legend says the bug reporter is none other than birdie himself.

Leave a comment:

• BangoMopar
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Also, see this amazing bug report which was closed as WONT_FIX
    Still sounds like someone who hasn't tried KDE since 2015 or so...it actually uses around the same or LESS memory than XFCE these days...
    When I say 'Xfce,' it’s a good bet you think about a lean, responsive Linux desktop environment that’s particularly light on system memory usage. What about when I say 'KDE?' Prepare for some surprises. . .

Also, I'm not aware of any plasmoids that are part of the official Plasma releases that are broken - if someone releases broken plasmoids, or fails to support plasmoids they've released via the store.kde.org website, KDE can hardly be held accountable for that, now can they?

Also, your "bug report" link is one of the most toxic, hostile reports I've ever seen. Hey, if you, as a user, MUST HAVE "A CPU usage monitor which monitors all cores individually (several narrow bars) and overall CPU utilization as one extra bar.", along with "something akin to KNetStats which creates icons for network interfaces *on the fly* (long unmaintained KNemo can't do that) and flashes them when there's network activity.", and you actually feel that is is representative of a normal PC user in 2019...well...I guess XFCE is right up your alley?!? I think I can safely go the rest of my life without feeling like my life is incomplete without those two (apparent) underpins of a successful DE...

I will, however, take the excellent KDE Connect, KDE Firefox integration, and robust system settings as suitable replacements

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post

This is what you want, KDE2 buildable mostly... on modern systems. KDE 1 is also up there.
    https://github.com/heliocastro/kde2
    Thanks for showing this project.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by markg85 View Post

If that's your opinion (you're free to have opinions) then you're better off just not using KDE again. At all.
    KDE 5 (Plasma) is imho very stable these days and for years already.

But sure, i'ill bite. Spit it out, what's unstable according to you?
    Broken themes (various glitches and small visual bugs), broken window decorations (likewise), broken plasmoids (likewise and what they are intended to do), crashing plasmoids, crashing Plasma, very high memory usage, relatively slow to load (compared to XFCE/KDE3). It usually takes me less than 10 minutes to find glaring bugs in each KDE 5 release that I've tried for the past several years. If you're about to say "Try the latest version", don't. Fedora 29 contains the latest available release. Still buggy as hell.

Also, see this amazing bug report which was closed as WONT_FIX.

With KDE 3 developers tried to cater to its users. KDE 4 was the first release they created primarily for themselves. KDE 5 is solely for themselves. That's not how you develop a successful DE meant for the broad masses.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

You right,
    Our community is always trying to design a new wheel, I still have the hope to see kde2 in modern hardware..
    I found this:
    This is what you want, KDE2 buildable mostly... on modern systems. KDE 1 is also up there.
    KDE2 Restoration super repo. Contribute to heliocastro/kde2 development by creating an account on GitHub.

Leave a comment:

• markg85
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

KDE 5 hasn't still matured unfortunately. I also try it from time to time and it's always a huge disappointment. Still late KDE 4 releases worked great.

I hope Plasma will be scrapped one day and we'll get our lean Kdesktop back.
    If that's your opinion (you're free to have opinions) then you're better off just not using KDE again. At all.
    KDE 5 (Plasma) is imho very stable these days and for years already.

But sure, i'ill bite. Spit it out, what's unstable according to you?

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    People are still putting effort into KDE3? I looked at some of its screenshots and it feels like stepping back into the 90's.
    Yes, that's the good part of it.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    People are still putting effort into KDE3? I looked at some of its screenshots and it feels like stepping back into the 90's.
    Yeah, the default theme is pretty outdated by now, but Q4OS actually has a more modern theme that you can use on any distro which makes Trinity looks like KDE 5.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    Development of Dillo appears to have completely stalled. I'd love it if they kept going. A lightweight almost pure-C web browser for embedding in applications and for some everyday web surfing activities is needed IMO. (needed by me at atleast!).
    There hasn't been much development lately, but still, there were a few nice commits in the past couple of months so it's dead: https://hg.dillo.org/dillo
    But I agree that development is too slow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X