Trinity Desktop R14.0.6 Being Prepared To Let KDE 3 Continue Life In 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Its slow as hell, consume too manny resources, and have a poor performance, compared with kde3.5, but kde3.5 has a lot of improovments to make in that area too.. still I think its bether resource targeted for a desktop..

KDE4 was the inpiration of 'windows vista', or 'LongHorn' at the time..no way, I will get a Desktop sow sluggish
    Indeed KDE 3.5 itself was much slower than KDE 1 or 2. KDE 1 and I believe 2 as well run fine on ancient 40Mhz unaccelerated machines and provided most of the features that KDE provides today UI wise.

Comment

<spit>

Youngsters and their fancy "desktops". Give me Korn shell any day - it runs, like, 200000% faster than KDE 1, and has less bugs to boot!

Comment

Good morning all of you. I am from India and a fresh phoronix user(now it is 9.30 AM in India).
        I have installed Q4OS Linux 2.7 in my old pc with 1.8 GHz core 2duo processor and1GB RAM. It only consumes about 300 MB RAM and smoothly runs basic applications like Firefox/Chrome, VLC, Libreoffcie etc. No lags whatsoever when using these. I also configured a LTSP server (using LTSP Manager) for 5 clients with Q4OS in a core2 duo 3 GHz/4GB computer and the setup is working very well. No performance issues since 6 months.
        I think TDE is very much suitable for old computers as well as who wants a light functional system.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          I have a sneaking suspicion no one uses TDE cause I can't otherwise explain why lots of HTTPS websites are inaccessible in this desktop environment. I'm talking about Konqueror, Akregator, Kmail and other applications.
          I thought that issues were caused by other system packages like ca-certificates or something else providing the actual TLS layer. I mean HTTPS per-se didn't change.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
            The benefits of a convergent experience should be obvious. I'd LOVE such a device. My current, main desktop computer has less computing power than a typical modern smart phone.
            I think you really overestimate how little computing power "typical modern smartphones" have.
            At most they have better hardware acceleration for media files, and are running really light applications from RAM

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
              I try KDE every few years but it has never worked out regardless of version. The interface is cluttered and the whole system is buggy as hell.
              ^ random quote from 2009...

Comment

Originally posted by nvaert1986 View Post
                KDE 3.5, was the last KDE desktop I used. I've tried the newer KDE versions, but they were too unstable / buggy in my opinion. After I switched to XFCE, and never looked back regarding stability and it does exactly what I need. Only a new release every 3 - 4 years, but that's perfect for me. It's nice to see there's still bring worked on a KDE 3.5 fork though. Perhaps I'll even give it a try : )
                Unrelated - but how's retirement treating you?

Comment

In my opinion, only Xfce and, hopefully, Lxqt are the only DE valid nowadays. But, the only missing thing in the Linux world is a modern, free, really indipendent and stable gui library. Linux (distros) will never be indipendent and free unless one solution (for the missed gui library) will be adopted. I know it is a hard work, but I think it is necessary.

Comment

This news is really attracting a special audience it seems...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Indeed KDE 3.5 itself was much slower than KDE 1 or 2. KDE 1 and I believe 2 as well run fine on ancient 40Mhz unaccelerated machines and provided most of the features that KDE provides today UI wise.
                      You right,
                      Our community is always trying to design a new wheel, I still have the hope to see kde2 in modern hardware..
                      I found this:

Comment

Working...
                      X