Trinity Desktop R14.0.6 Being Prepared To Let KDE 3 Continue Life In 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Desktop R14.0.6 Being Prepared To Let KDE 3 Continue Life In 2019

Phoronix: Trinity Desktop R14.0.6 Being Prepared To Let KDE 3 Continue Life In 2019

Trinity Desktop R14.0.6 is being prepared as the latest update to this fork of the KDE 3 package set that continues providing bug fixes and maintenance for those still wanting to live on the KDE3 experience in 2019...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For me , it was the last Desktop from kde, that could make any sense,
    Good to see Kde3.5 still alive, and kicking..

Still there should be, here and there, performance improvements that could be done..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Still there should be, here and there, performance improvements that could be done..
      What are the problems with KDE 4? Too many crashes at first?

When I used KDE 4.14 back in 2015 it was very stable...

Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion no one uses TDE cause I can't otherwise explain why lots of HTTPS websites are inaccessible in this desktop environment. I'm talking about Konqueror, Akregator, Kmail and other applications.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          I have a sneaking suspicion no one uses TDE cause I can't otherwise explain why lots of HTTPS websites are inaccessible in this desktop environment. I'm talking about Konqueror, Akregator, Kmail and other applications.
          I use it on occasion, it's still my favorite DE! And it's used in some corporate offices in Germany where Q4OS has deployed their distro with TDE. But yeah, the web backend is broken for internet applications. You should migrate to a modern browser, modern mail client and modern RSS reader.

Comment

I try KDE every few years but it has never worked out regardless of version. The interface is cluttered and the whole system is buggy as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
              I try KDE every few years but it has never worked out regardless of version. The interface is cluttered and the whole system is buggy as hell.
              KDE 5 hasn't still matured unfortunately. I also try it from time to time and it's always a huge disappointment. Still late KDE 4 releases worked great.

I hope Plasma will be scrapped one day and we'll get our lean Kdesktop back.

Comment

Oh wow! I love these little projects of passion. Checkout their screenshots page ( https://www.trinitydesktop.org/screenshots.php ). That was a burst of nostalgia. I got flashbacks of playing around with Knoppix.

The project that I'd love to see brought back to life is Dillo: http://www.dillo.org/

Development of Dillo appears to have completely stalled. I'd love it if they kept going. A lightweight almost pure-C web browser for embedding in applications and for some everyday web surfing activities is needed IMO. (needed by me at atleast!).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

KDE 5 hasn't still matured unfortunately. I also try it from time to time and it's always a huge disappointment. Still late KDE 4 releases worked great.

I hope Plasma will be scrapped one day and we'll get our lean Kdesktop back.
                  We first need to realize that convergence between desktop and mobile is virtually impossible and will lead (has already) to poor experiences in both form factors.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

KDE3 and Gnome2 were the last desktop environments. Now, only toys.

Comment

Working...
                    X