Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chugworth
    replied
    People are still putting effort into KDE3? I looked at some of its screenshots and it feels like stepping back into the 90's.

KDE5 is great though. I run it on my laptop and I love it. Just set the task manager to icons-only, and it gives an experience that's similar to Windows 7.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What are the problems with KDE 4? Too many crashes at first?

When I used KDE 4.14 back in 2015 it was very stable...
    Its slow as hell, consume too manny resources, and have a poor performance, compared with kde3.5, but kde3.5 has a lot of improovments to make in that area too.. still I think its bether resource targeted for a desktop..

KDE4 was the inpiration of 'windows vista', or 'LongHorn' at the time..no way, I will get a Desktop sow sluggish

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post

This is exactly Xarmarin's take on it... but they got bought by MS. Thier portability APIs allowed you to target desktop and mobile from the same application with different UIs on top.
    Putting my conspiracy hat on now...

Perhaps efforts to make a practical convergent desktop have been cancelled or slowed down precisely because such a system would give users a huge amount of freedom, privacy and sovereignty outside of all the cloud based solutions. I've noticed that lots of people opt to heavily tie their life to Google these days as it means they can get their mail, calendar, files, photos, office docs and other stuff all in one place that can be accessed from their desktop and their phone. Obviously these people will be heavily monitored, monetized and manipulated (via targeted adverts etc). A well designed convergent phone would be a brilliant replacement for all that Google crap that so many rely upon.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I use it on occasion, it's still my favorite DE! And it's used in some corporate offices in Germany where Q4OS has deployed their distro with TDE. But yeah, the web backend is broken for internet applications. You should migrate to a modern browser, modern mail client and modern RSS reader.
    indeed,
    You also have exe and maybe other distros out there..
    For me its the last DE, kde based, that makes any sense..

Leave a comment:

• nvaert1986
    replied
    KDE 3.5, was the last KDE desktop I used. I've tried the newer KDE versions, but they were too unstable / buggy in my opinion. After I switched to XFCE, and never looked back regarding stability and it does exactly what I need. Only a new release every 3 - 4 years, but that's perfect for me. It's nice to see there's still bring worked on a KDE 3.5 fork though. Perhaps I'll even give it a try : )

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    A workable scenario would be where applications are written to generate two independent interfaces: one for a small-screen-touch mode and one for a big-screen-keyboard-mouse mode. The app will switch interface depending on signals it gets from the Desktop/OS about which mode the device is in.
    This is exactly Xarmarin's take on it... but they got bought by MS. Thier portability APIs allowed you to target desktop and mobile from the same application with different UIs on top.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    The benefits of a convergent experience should be obvious. I'd LOVE such a device. My current, main desktop computer has less computing power than a typical modern smart phone. So if someone made a functioning convergent phone OS, I could have a phone which is also my main PC. I could carry it everywhere and have all my stuff in one place without having to rely upon sovereignty & privacy destroying cloud apps and without having to deal with complicated and constraining synchronization systems.
    Just get a better PC. Maybe if you hadn't wasted so much money on phones you'd have it by now.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    I've found an interesting discussion about TDE/KDE3/KDE5 on Reddit.

Leave a comment:

• mzs.112000
    replied
    I wish there was a project like this, but for KDE SC 4.14....

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    Originally posted by awesz View Post

We first need to realize that convergence between desktop and mobile is virtually impossible and will lead (has already) to poor experiences in both form factors.
    I think it's absolutely possible.

A workable scenario would be where applications are written to generate two independent interfaces: one for a small-screen-touch mode and one for a big-screen-keyboard-mouse mode. The app will switch interface depending on signals it gets from the Desktop/OS about which mode the device is in.

If an application only supports small-screen-touch mode, then it can still function fine when the system is in big-screen-keyboard-mouse mode; it just needs to be possible to operate it without multi-touch. If an application only supports big-screen-keyboard-mouse mode, then it can't so gracefully made to work in small-screen-touch mode, but that's OK.

The benefits of a convergent experience should be obvious. I'd LOVE such a device. My current, main desktop computer has less computing power than a typical modern smart phone. So if someone made a functioning convergent phone OS, I could have a phone which is also my main PC. I could carry it everywhere and have all my stuff in one place without having to rely upon sovereignty & privacy destroying cloud apps and without having to deal with complicated and constraining synchronization systems.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X