Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More GNOME Shell / Mutter Performance Optimizations & Latency Reductions Still Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More GNOME Shell / Mutter Performance Optimizations & Latency Reductions Still Coming

Phoronix: More GNOME Shell / Mutter Performance Optimizations & Latency Reductions Still Coming

Over the course of the GNOME 3.32 that is nearly complete as well as GNOME 3.30 there was a lot of measurable performance fixes and enhancements to improve the fluidity of the GNOME desktop as well as addressing various latency issues. While in some areas these performance improvements make a night and day difference, work isn't done on enhancing GNOME's performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am using Ubuntu 19.04 (daily build) and the GNOME performance have been noticeable improved.
    The animations when opening up the dash is much smoother without frame stuttering.
    The dash experience has been improved.

I still do think the experience of the dash is bad because the duration of the animation is too long. It is smooth, but too long.
    Also the animation is a poor animation, it is a folding animation. I would much rather prefer a simper bottom-up sliding animation like the one on Android.

Comment

I really hope all this good work gets into GNOME 3.32, I don't wanna wait for it until this autumn.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I am using Ubuntu 19.04 (daily build) and the GNOME performance have been noticeable improved.
        The animations when opening up the dash is much smoother without frame stuttering.

I still do think the experience of the dash is bad because the duration of the animation is too long. It is smooth, but too long.
        Also the animation is a poor animation, it is a folding animation. I would much rather prefer a simper bottom-up sliding animation like the one on Android.
        Are you running 19.04 on a spare computer? 'Cause I thought you wanted a stable experience on your main computer or did I not understand some of your other posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Are you running 19.04 on a spare computer? 'Cause I thought you wanted a stable experience on your main computer or did I not understand some of your other posts?
          No, I run 19.04 on my main machine.
          I don't remember if I said I want a stable experience, but I always run the pre-releases of Ubuntu. Not on the first weeks when it is very unstable.

Comment

That's an interesting info. Couple of weeks ago I tested 18.10 on my 12 inch tablet (4 x 1.44GHz x86 CherryTrail, 4GB of RAM, 64GB eMMC). I wanted to install smth very touchscreen friendly (it initially had Win10 and Android) to make universal portable machine. And I discovered that GNOME 3 on 18.10 and Fedora 29 is a horrible experience. Dash lags for a second before opening, overall animation barely reaches 10 fps. Finally I installed elementaryOS as second touchscreen friendly distro IMO, and it runs relatively smooth (not 60 fps though). But elementaryOS is based on LTS with old kernel and I had to install 4.20 from mainline ppa manually. I will download 19.04 and boot it to see current state of this pile of crap called GNOME 3 - maybe it became usable now.

Comment

In the meanwhile, KWin would stutter and sometimes have horrible input lag, of which I solved by patching it manually to rely on DRM VBlank and late rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                That's an interesting info. Couple of weeks ago I tested 18.10 on my 12 inch tablet (4 x 1.44GHz x86 CherryTrail, 4GB of RAM, 64GB eMMC). I wanted to install smth very touchscreen friendly (it initially had Win10 and Android) to make universal portable machine. And I discovered that GNOME 3 on 18.10 and Fedora 29 is a horrible experience. Dash lags for a second before opening, overall animation barely reaches 10 fps. Finally I installed elementaryOS as second touchscreen friendly distro IMO, and it runs relatively smooth (not 60 fps though). But elementaryOS is based on LTS with old kernel and I had to install 4.20 from mainline ppa manually. I will download 19.04 and boot it to see current state of this pile of crap called GNOME 3 - maybe it became usable now.
                It still takes a second for it to finish animating to the point that you can interact with it.
                The experience is much smoother, but the duration is the same.

Comment

On KDE, I had this feeling too, so I got into the settings and moved the slide of animation just a tad faster. Suddenly the PC seemed running faster. Is just a psychological thing, but I totally agree that animation must not drag too much, just because the developers want to show something cool.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    In the meanwhile, KWin would stutter and sometimes have horrible input lag, of which I solved by patching it manually to rely on DRM VBlank and late rendering.
                    Could you please share that patch? I have the same issue on my i7 4800mq (HD 4600 gpu) and I just can't seem to watch 60fps videos without significant stutters. Neither in vlc nor in YouTube (no matter the browser).

Comment

Working...
                    X