Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce Picking Up Support For Color Profiles

Phoronix: Xfce Picking Up Support For Color Profiles

One of the latest feature additions for the Xfce desktop is support for the colord system service for managing/using color profiles for output devices (displays)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

XFCE team please release 4.14 already ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), I'm not sure how accurate https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap is, but I'm under impression that it has been ready for quite some time.

Comment

Xfce progressing well, slowly but steadily. 😍🤗

Comment

Fedora29 has had XFCE4.13.x packages for well since its release. an afaik its pretty stable.

Comment

Sounds like they're going after the M$ trend and trying to add NightLight for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Sounds like they're going after the M$ trend and trying to add NightLight for whatever reason.
            "For whatever reason"? A lot of people use blue filter apps, and we would obviously prefer that the feature is built in, when possible. Sorry if having an extra option available to you pisses you off.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              MS trend, really? External tools aside, Apple was the first to introduce Night Light in iOS (and also macOS, I believe, but at least iOS). Then GNOME Shell followed suit and only THEN did MS follow suit.

Comment

I don't get the point of colourd and display profile management when there doesn't even exist a package on any linux distro to perform a rudimentary approximation of a colour calibration of any one device that will be using those profiles. It's all a complete waste of time and resources if the users don't have their displays calibrated to the same standard as the colour profile of the data they're viewing. The X11 display server utilities xrandr package that is responsible for setting up display gamma is broken - it doesn't produce compliant gamma ramps. It doesn't even have a notion of what a correct gamma ramp is. It only understands gamma power. We have a lot of infrastructure to fix before we're going to get accurate sRGB let alone something that will accurately show the P3 content our iPhones generate. HDR10 is a waste of time other than improving shadow detail... well we can already do that just by changing the video codec settings to stop discarding details in low brightness areas in the name of better compression ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

MS trend, really? External tools aside, Apple was the first to introduce Night Light in iOS (and also macOS, I believe, but at least iOS). Then GNOME Shell followed suit and only THEN did MS follow suit.
                  Not to mention that Android has done it for a few years now and that KDE also has it. Hell, two of the TVs in my house have it.

Comment

You don't need color profile support for nightlight/redshift/etc. (you just run the redshift program, which modifies the current profile on the fly).
                    Even so, I remember having profile applied automatically in the past already; though probably not by xfce but by argyll/lcms that planted itself an autostart service.

Comment

Working...
                    X