Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.32 Beta 2 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.32 Beta 2 Released

Released earlier this month was the GNOME 3.32 beta which also marked the feature/UI/API freeze. Out today is the second beta for the upcoming GNOME 3.32 and now the string freeze is also in effect...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is looking really good for people like me who try to use Wayland as much as possible. I wish there also would be a new release of x.org server soon to accompany this because there are some important fixes in git master that will really help for running games (or any applications really) through xwayland.

Comment

Personally, I found gnome 3 rather awful to use. A workflow that reminds me of microsoft/apple, which is horrible for the power user. I use the Fedora cinnamon spin, which is friendly and modern (but buggy).

I just remembered major problem with gnome 3, does it still force virtual desktops to move up/down only, and not left/right?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Shell and mutter is not released yet. Looks like they are busy before freeze.
        Hopefully >60Hz for mouse cursor, better mouse cursor performance and no more compositing stutter in various situations.
        Then it would be a fine improvement for Wayland, otherwise a disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
          Personally, I found gnome 3 rather awful to use. A workflow that reminds me of microsoft/apple, which is horrible for the power user. I use the Fedora cinnamon spin, which is friendly and modern (but buggy).

I just remembered major problem with gnome 3, does it still force virtual desktops to move up/down only, and not left/right?
          If Cinnamon is buggy, then why not use Xfce?

Comment

I use the Fedora cinnamon spin, which is friendly and modern (but buggy).
            Cinnamon and Muffin are still downstreams from GS/Mutter, so a lot of the improvements will, after some delay, find their way into them. I personally would love to see Cinnamon to push more in the Wayland direction and, where applicable, contribute a bit more to upstream. I've once ported a patch from Muffin to Mutter (fixing games not resuming after alt-tabbing out of them and back in) and was kinda surprised that it hadn't al least proposed to upstream :/

Comment

I guess I kept using cinnamon because it let me do various customizations, like increase the height of the panel bar, lower the distance between desktop icons and a mixed light/dark theme.

I was hoping the bugs would go away but I haven't seen much development over the past 2 years or so. I think the most bugs appear in "nemo", for example the thumbnails of a few thousand images eventually cause it to die.

I think the only stable alternative was MATE, but last time I tried it looked rather dated and oldish.

Now that you mention it, I'll give Xfce another try.

Originally posted by orschiro View Post

If Cinnamon is buggy, then why not use Xfce?

Comment

I guess I kept using cinnamon because it let me do various customizations, like increase the height of the panel bar, lower the distance between desktop icons and a mixed light/dark theme.

I was hoping the bugs would go away but I haven't seen much development over the past 2 years or so. I think the most bugs appear in "nemo", for example the thumbnails of a few thousand images eventually cause it to die.

I think the only stable alternative was MATE, but last time I tried it looked rather dated and oldish.

Now that you mention it, I'll give Xfce another try.

all cinnamon is, is a shell ontop of Gnome3. as the other user suggested, i would give XFCE a spin. i dunno if Development of Mate is slowingf down or not, your best bet is to go an have a look at how fast the Mate Development is on there website

Comment

After the Gnome I can’t use other DEs, working with windows and virtual tables ... it’s too amazing.

Comment

I don't mind that cinnamon is based on gnome3, my issue is the workflow of gnome3 that uses a microsoft/apple sort of desktop environment, which is counter productive for a power user/developer.

I'll give xfce a try and see how that goes.

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

all cinnamon is, is a shell ontop of Gnome3. as the other user suggested, i would give XFCE a spin. i dunno if Development of Mate is slowingf down or not, your best bet is to go an have a look at how fast the Mate Development is on there website

Comment

Working...
                    X