Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flatpak's Flathub Seeing Infrastructure Improvements, Finally Support For Beta Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatpak's Flathub Seeing Infrastructure Improvements, Finally Support For Beta Releases

Phoronix: Flatpak's Flathub Seeing Infrastructure Improvements, Finally Support For Beta Releases

Flatpak's Flathub finally supports the notion of application beta releases for application maintainers wanting to offer up early-access/testing versions of applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do they Validate the Maintainers? Or is there a Option for this that the User can be sure that the Package is official from Upstream or the Maintainer is a real person that is liable?

Comment

I've never used Flatpak or Flathub. Have anyone?
      I use "GNOME Software".

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        Do they Validate the Maintainers? Or is there a Option for this that the User can be sure that the Package is official from Upstream or the Maintainer is a real person that is liable?
        If it downloads a proprietary piece of software, it does check the checksum.

Comment

i wouldnt race over to use Flatpak IMO, it wont take off like the Devs think it will. they still Package Beta software in a Release Now so having that in Flatpak isnt anything New. . iif your an Firefox Avid user that still aint on Flathub. whyz? ask the Firefox Devs. . i did try it out an i dont think much of it .

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I use "GNOME Software".
            GNOME software can/will install flatpack packages depending on your Distro and setup

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              If it downloads a proprietary piece of software, it does check the checksum.
              It answers non of my questions. And if you upload a Flatpak with harmful content and correct checksums it changes nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                even if they did, liability is not really guaranteed due to being random people aroun the world.

But they​​​they publish the package manifest of all their flatpaks on github, and any change is logged by git. https://github.com/flathub/org.texst...studio?files=1

If you don't trust them you can build your own package using that.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I use "GNOME Software".
                  Follow the setup instructions for your distro in this link and Flathub will be added as an extra repository in Gnome Software. Apps will have their source obviously shown in the store. Works prety well in Fedora 28. Great in Fedora 29.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

Follow the setup instructions for your distro in this link and Flathub will be added as an extra repository in Gnome Software. Apps will have their source obviously shown in the store. Works prety well in Fedora 28. Great in Fedora 29.

https://flatpak.org/setup
                    I wish Flatpak would just work out-of-the-box so the user didn't have to install flatpak and configure it.

Comment

Working...
                    X