GNOME's Geary 0.13 Is A Big Step Forward For This Linux Mail Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Geary 0.13 Is A Big Step Forward For This Linux Mail Client

Phoronix: GNOME's Geary 0.13 Is A Big Step Forward For This Linux Mail Client

Geary 0.13 is out today as a big step-up for this GNOME e-mail client for the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be kind cool if Geary became a replacement for Evolution on the GNOME desktop.

Evolution is nicely featured but its UI is hugely oudated.

Comment

these hobby e-mail clients are just as hopeless as the hobby browser projects out there. Not gonna happen. Mozilla even funded their client with tons of money, but in 2019 you still can't organize a friggin' meeting within your organization. After 15 years.

Hiri seems to be the only usable Linux client ATM, and it's not free of course. But at least it works.

But sure, feel free to write an n+1th IMAP client for freedom of choice, we don't have enough wheels yet, reinvent it once again please Stuff like "Unread email count is now updated correctly" will make thousands of users migrate, I do believe this is what the free software world was missing until today.

Comment

Lovely, not even on the Website is a Screenshot from it.

Comment

Is Geary the best for multiple Gmail accounts administration?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            these hobby e-mail clients are just as hopeless as the hobby browser projects out there. Not gonna happen. Mozilla even funded their client with tons of money, but in 2019 you still can't organize a friggin' meeting within your organization. After 15 years.

Hiri seems to be the only usable Linux client ATM, and it's not free of course. But at least it works.

But sure, feel free to write an n+1th IMAP client for freedom of choice, we don't have enough wheels yet, reinvent it once again please Stuff like "Unread email count is now updated correctly" will make thousands of users migrate, I do believe this is what the free software world was missing until today.
            Querying google with "hiri write plain text mail" comes up with nothing. This is so basic functional, so you can review a patch on a mailing list without worrying that it will screw whitespace or merge/break lines — and yet it's missing in many mail clients.

FWIW I've tried many mail clients excluding Geary, and they all have something basic broken. My top list would be: 1. KMail if it ever worked, 2. Thunderbird with a bunch of customizations and "Thunderbird conversations" addon, 3. "The Bat" under Wine (non-free, and has its quirks too).

I never heard of Geary though, gotta try it.
            Last edited by Hi-Angel; 17 February 2019, 02:07 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Btw, I remember that time before when I had many reasons to say that Qt is way better than GTK.

And oddly enough, I just realized that when I read the article, I had a thought "thank God, it's not Qt". Qt lately became too quirky, e.g. if you don't use a full-blown DE, Qt apps often look like garbage unless you set a XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP variable; but then if you set it to i3, they still may be looking bad. You have to set it to "kde" or "gnome", but then if you do that even though you don't have any of those DEs, apps may just hang. There's probably some other secret env. setting to fix them, but this is way too much deal to just make apps to work. In addition, Qt navigation with Ctrl+right does not jump to the end of the current word — yet another bug I hate.

Funny how everything is changing with time…

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                Would be kind cool if Geary became a replacement for Evolution on the GNOME desktop.

Evolution is nicely featured but its UI is hugely oudated.
                What's wrong with Evolution UI? Which feature do you miss or just thing could be done better?
                Don't want to start a mail-client-war here, just genuinely curious

Comment

There is only one serious email client for Linux and that is claws-mail. Its full-featured and has lots of plugins to extend its functionality. On the downside, the UI is rather dated.

My ideal Fedora desktop is cinnamon with claws-mail, since I found gnome3 to be complete garbage.

Comment

I don't think Geary is intended replace Evolution. Seems like a basic client for people who only use Evolution to read mail.

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                    Querying google with "hiri write plain text mail" comes up with nothing.
                    Absolute fucking garbage.

Comment

Working...
                    X