Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compiz 0.9.14 Released As First Update In Over Two Years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Compiz 0.9.14 Released As First Update In Over Two Years

    Phoronix: Compiz 0.9.14 Released As First Update In Over Two Years

    While Ubuntu may no longer be using Compiz by default as the compositing window manager, the Compiz project is still alive as marked by today's Compiz 0.9.14.0 release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....9.14-Released

  • #2
    Wow, very nice!
    I liked Compiz very much when I was using Ubuntu.
    I don't understand why is not having more developers and more releases when it's such a useful program for usability, not to mention all the eye-candy stuff that puts Linux well ahead Windows.
    Anyway, since I've moved from Ubuntu Mate and Linux Mint with Cinnamon to Kubuntu, does anyone know if it's possible to install and use Compiz on Kubuntu or KDE Plasma in general?
    If it's possible, how well does it work?
    I would like to use the cube, the negative and multi wallpapers plugins again.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Anyway, since I've moved from Ubuntu Mate and Linux Mint with Cinnamon to Kubuntu, does anyone know if it's possible to install and use Compiz on Kubuntu or KDE Plasma in general?
      If it's possible, how well does it work?
      I would like to use the cube, the negative and multi wallpapers plugins again.
      What's the point? Kwin's compositor already supports pretty much all of the practical features of Compiz, including the cube. I'm not sure if you get the same level of control that compiz gives (I use expose since that's more useful) but it's there "out of the box".
      Not sure what you mean by "multi wallpapers" but KDE allows you to have "slideshows" as well as configure each workspace (and, each display) to have its own wallpaper.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 02-16-2019, 03:12 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        What's the point? Kwin's compositor already supports pretty much all of the practical features of Compiz, including the cube. I'm not sure if you get the same level of control that compiz gives (I use expose since that's more useful) but it's there "out of the box".
        Not sure what you mean by "multi wallpapers" but KDE allows you to have "slideshows" as well as configure each workspace (and, each display) to have its own wallpaper.
        Doesn't seem to me to be at the same level as Compiz.
        The Cube in KDE is much more basic, I cannot start to rotate it just by clicking the middle mouse button on desktop, not sure if it has the background features as in Compiz, no different wallpapers per workspaces, no negative plugins.
        Anyway I haven't use Compiz in a long time and I'm still new to KDE, but I miss a lot Compiz features.
        KDE is good, but I don't see yet many of the Compiz features that I was using 10 years ago.
        Also I think they're refusing to implement the different wallpapers per workspace because they say it's too difficult to implement.
        Compiz had this, it was not perfect, but at least it was trying to solve a big usability problem making it very easy to differentiate between workspaces.

        Comment


        • #5
          It's a joke ? You can configure the Kwin cube as you want and you can use the shortcuts that interest you the most. But if instead of a good window manager you prefer a playground then Compiz is perfect, best wishes!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
            It's a joke ? You can configure the Kwin cube as you want and you can use the shortcuts that interest you the most. But if instead of a good window manager you prefer a playground then Compiz is perfect, best wishes!
            What's the point in that sarcasm? If you don't know the answer to the question of if it's possible to use Compiz in Plasma, then just say that.

            Danny3 try installing Compiz, then using 'compiz --replace' like in the olden days. I imagine many distributions have different versions of Compiz. In Arch's AUR, you have the previous version of Compiz currently available, as well as the git version. There's no PPA with the latest for Ubuntu based things yet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
              It's a joke ? You can configure the Kwin cube as you want
              Nope, you can't: there is no plugin like Cube Atlantis.

              Comment


              • #8
                The irony is due to the fact that in 2019 we are still talking about compiz! I do not know if you can still use Compiz on Plasma, maybe yes, but I'm not sure. I just meant that you can configure the keyboard shortcuts to activate the cube.

                Comment


                • #9
                  > While Ubuntu may no longer be using Compiz by default as the compositing window manager

                  Wrong, it is used in Ubuntu with the unity-desktop, wich is still maintained and usable

                  Compiz is the best, red hat is evil

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sweet memories of wobbly windows exploding in pieces

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X