PulseAudio Plugin Allows For Better Bluetooth Audio Quality On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xiando View Post
    This plugin isn't new, btw, it's been around for years. I guess the news is that some guy discovered it and wrote a blog post about it.
    Hopefully the blog post and phoronix article will help push distros to adopt it more quickly.

I just tried it with my Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC. It only supports APTX, but it does sound better with this plugin than without.

Comment

Originally posted by Sesivany View Post

The reason is very simple: they already have content in AAC (music on iTunes and in Apple Music). By using AAC for Bluetooth they don't have to do transcoding which saves some energy on portable devices like iPhone.
      More importantly it doesnt degrade the audio any further if you avoid transcoding.

Comment

The sad thing about Bluetooth audio quality is that SBC wouldn't have to sound as bad as it does. There's patches for bluez floating around that increase SBCs bitrate envelope over the bare minimum that make it outperform aptX, and even aptX-HD:

The test is over. I'm no longer accepting libraries to patch. SBC XQ Feature is available in LineageOS 15.1 build created on or after the 31st of March 2019, or a 16.0 build created on or after the 13th of May 2019. Many note low sound quality...

The test is over. I'm no longer accepting libraries to patch. SBC XQ Feature is available in LineageOS 15.1 build created on or after the 31st of March 2019, or a 16.0 build created on or after the 13th of May 2019. Many note low sound quality...

Now if only these were upstreamed...

Comment

Originally posted by colo View Post
          The sad thing about Bluetooth audio quality is that SBC wouldn't have to sound as bad as it does. There's patches for bluez floating around that increase SBCs bitrate envelope over the bare minimum that make it outperform aptX, and even aptX-HD:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ality-t3832615
          https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...0&postcount=94

Now if only these were upstreamed...
          Is any of this even sent upstream at all? Knowing xda, I strongly suspect it isn't and won't.

Is there any brave man/woman/attack helicopter that can do that?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

More importantly it doesnt degrade the audio any further if you avoid transcoding.
            That depends. I don't think there is any noticable degradation when you're converting AAC 256kbps (that's what they use for iTunes and Apple Music) to LDAC 660/990kbps.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Is any of this even sent upstream at all? Knowing xda, I strongly suspect it isn't and won't.

Is there any brave man/woman/attack helicopter that can do that?
              A quick glance at the gerrits and it looks like Lineage might pick it up. I wouldn't hold my breath for AOSP. As long as Lineage or some AOSP clone picks it up, I'd be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                A quick glance at the gerrits and it looks like Lineage might pick it up. I wouldn't hold my breath for AOSP. As long as Lineage or some AOSP clone picks it up, I'd be happy.
                Good to know as I have a LOS phone, but I was talking of sending this to Bluez upstream. I wouldn't mind having this also for a laptop
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 February 2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Good to know as I have a LOS phone, but I was talking of sending this to Bluez upstream. I wouldn't mind having this also for a laptop
                  Gotcha.

All the various upstreams when it comes to Android gets confusing.

Comment

I haven't invested time in understanding audio equipment/software quirks so I ended up buying one of these. It presents itself as a regular audio card and has been working perfectly for me under linux.

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Blue.../dp/B01G3J1I5M

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
                      Wake me up when I can finally use my BoseQC35 II headphones without having to edit some fucking configuration files.
                      i am using my bose qc35 ii headphones without having to edit some configuration files. i permit you using yours too

Comment

Working...
                      X