Wine Could Use Student Developers For VKD3D, Other Direct3D Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Could Use Student Developers For VKD3D, Other Direct3D Enhancements

Phoronix: Wine Could Use Student Developers For VKD3D, Other Direct3D Enhancements

Like GCC, Debian, and other leading free software projects, Wine is hoping to have a few interested students take on some interesting summer projects this year thanks to the annual Google Summer of Code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What do you hope to see added/improved to Wine this summer? Let us know in the forums.

How about a more pleasant overall experience in performance, instead of basic operations being dog slow, like resizing windows (the file open dialog is an atrocity for example, try resize it). I know they don't give a shit and would rather keep the code as-is (that's why it will forever be shit because of the devs), but it's this kind of lack of polish that pisses many people off, even if the maintainers don't give a shit about it.

I'm sick of those thinking performance only matters for games or the "if it's not at least 50% boost it doesn't matter" bullshit.

I mean this kind of thing might also be easy on students to do but ofc it's more political reason to ignore this, rather than effort needed.

Comment

It would be nice if wine followed the SSLKEYLOGFILE option to dump out all SSL Session Keys and Secrets from application memory regardless of the libraries applications used.

A proper endorsement of gallium-nine would be great too.

Last but not least, slim down staging, review its patches and merge them upstream as much as possible.

Comment

I would like to see support for some game protection. Previously, Wine was against all these viral defenders, but judging by the supported games, they make exceptions. It would be possible to implement this in container insulation, so as not to harm the system. For example, a lot of old MMOs are not supported for this reason. Lineage, Blade & Soul, etc.

Comment

I hope to see them drop the duplicated D3D10/11 to Vulkan effort and adopt DXVK instead.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I hope to see them drop the duplicated D3D10/11 to Vulkan effort and adopt DXVK instead.
            I concur.

Comment

upd
              If you really don’t want to support GameGuard, then let it be at least Smart Gard and Strix Guard support for non-official Lineage2 servers.
              Last edited by guglovich; 11 February 2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                There is already a problem on the part of the developer DXVK. The wine project tried to contact him, unsuccessfully.

Comment

I wish Wine would be a little more open for changes. Embrace developments like DXVK, VK9, Gallium Nine, Zink, Proton, ProtonDB, Wayland, Faudio, ... instead of sticking to outdated principles. WineHQ is nothing more than a collection of outdated content and comments. Making applications work with Wine is nothing that belongs into a website, it should have been integrated into some Wine build scripts with a nice interface combined with Wine-staging and a direct feedback function. I would have been willing to pay for something like this, but crossover never fulfilled my needs but Steam Play somehow does almost exactly what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post

There is already a problem on the part of the developer DXVK. The wine project tried to contact him, unsuccessfully.
                    To be fair, the DXVK developer was extremely productive and he made things possible where nobody else believed they would happen. So even without knowing the details I could fully understand if he just decided to stay out of the bureaucracy of project like Wine. And nobody hinders Wine do make what Proton did, just integrate DXVK into your build :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X