Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 6.2 Shipping Today With User Interface Improvements, Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    Interesting. Do you remember which study discovered this? I'd like to read it.
    That would be the 2003 study by the University of Hamburg for the effect of the underline https://vsis-www.informatik.uni-hamb...19/www2003.pdf

Any form of highlight be it underline, bold, odd place capitals in fact slows down reading speed. Using a mouse so not using the accelerator keys hiding the underline for the accelerator keys is the correct thing.

I cannot remember name of the original WIMP studies but they covered the difference between mouse and keyboard speed this is why early stuff had accelerators everywhere.

In order of speed.
    1) Short cut keys the faster but user has to learn them.
    2) Accelerator hints/keys though menu bar .
    3) Toolbars with mouse
    4) Tabbing/arrowkey/toggling though menus
    5) menu bar with mouse
    That was from the notes I took from those studies a long time ago.

Tabbed/Ribbion does not catch up to the top 1 or 2 place. Tabbed is slightly slower due to extra clicks compared to toolbar with target the same size but with the increased size of targets tabbed alows . Removing the underline from the menu

The Libreoffice problem is you get into a dialog window and the tabs of the dialog don't have assigned accelerators and in some of the complex ones tab though each tab is slower than using mouse.

I will say lot of gnome applications do have big problems you F10 into their menu and you find out you don't have accelerators.

There is a lot to good UX design Gnome HIG does not give Accelerators on memus serous enough point.

Where possible, all labelled components should have an access key.

Yes they call them access keys. Note the where possible this should be unless they is no other option. . All labelled components should have an access key unless there is no other option.
    You open gedit f10 attempt to go to View or Tools no access key as they call it. Then you notice two entries using F so you have to toggle between the two and use space to select the right one this is a pure performance killer.

There is a old rule in WIMP documents. Find is higher up the menu its go F. Find and Replace what is next in menu would get R the next capital not the double F that .

I think the problem is with the gnome translation system you cannot assign multi in order access keys to a string. "Find and Replace' string should have F as primary access key and R as alternative access key if F has already been used in menu/dialogue.

Hidding the accelerator/access keys for those using mouse is right so gnome HIG is right on that point. The way gnome programs allocate accelerator/access keys is horrible wrong and broken with mix of missing accelerator/access keys and duplicate accelerator/access keys so far Libreoffice does not have these defects.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      That would be the 2003 study by the University of Hamburg for the effect of the underline https://vsis-www.informatik.uni-hamb...19/www2003.pdf

Any form of highlight be it underline, bold, odd place capitals in fact slows down reading speed. Using a mouse so not using the accelerator keys hiding the underline for the accelerator keys is the correct thing.
      Thanks. I'll be busy for the next few days, but I'll give that a read as soon as I can spare a moment.

Comment

Working...
      X