Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 6.2 Shipping Today With User Interface Improvements, Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope they improve svg import.
    Last week I had 4 svg from inkscape. 1 was rendered correctly. The others had objects missing or dark layers over some parts of the image. eps also did not work better. png then worked but gave me non-smooth edges...
    Seems like a long way to make LO a good software...

Comment

i like ribbon. haters.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Due to the silly ribbon, Microsoft Office is no-ones *thing*.
        Speak for yourself, I love the ribbon. I hate endless menus. And yes, I'm serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
          Wow they really shove it down your throat when you have to manually enable the fifth different user interface they support. Imagine the horror when in a year or so this may be the default UI and you have to manually switch to the old one...

I guess they'll keep the standard UI as long as enough people dislike ribbons - which may not be forever.
          Is it hard to switch? They could make it easier, like in WPS Office where there's an icon in the top right corner (close to the close button) to easily switch between UI's. LO could implement the same,

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Why do you think people will suddenly stop disliking ribbon interfaces? Do you suspect that as a species we may evolve to become genetically predisposed to liking a ribbon interface?

Or do you think people will just become more submissive and give in because every tutorial or internal training software uses the ribbon rather than the more efficient classic interface?

My guess is that kids who don't know any better and just "use the default" will end up knowing nothing else other than the ribbon interface and be a little disadvantaged by doing so due to certain inefficiencies it inflicts. Similar to tablets and Gnome 3 really.
            I grew up with menus, yet I like MS Office's ribbon (and WPS Office's on Linux) a lot more. Menus confuse me, esp. when they contain an endless amount of options, like in office suites or other complex software.

Comment

I don't dislike the "ribbon" idea, but Microsoft's one is totally unintuitive. If LibreOffice manage to do this and at the same time don't loose interface intuitivity, I'm ok with it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I think the color palette in LibreOffice Calc are bad. The colors have insufficient contrast to distinguish between the different shades.
                I also think LibreOffice Calc could be more friendly.
                What about hardware acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I also think LibreOffice Calc could be more friendly.
                  Which version of LibreOffice do you refer? In term of friendliness, Options -> Advanced, check "Enable Experimental Features" to access a list of alternate user interfaces (six altogether). Additionally, with OpenCL from either ROCm or AMD own hybrid driver, hardware acceleration is smooth.

Comment

I very much dislike what Microsoft did to Microsoft Office. I absolutely detest the user interface (OK, I'm a dinosaur... I like menus, not hieroglyphics).

The way I sell the LibreOffice (and before that Open Office) idea to my computer service customers (mostly Windows users) is "It's free in every sense of the word and it's more like Microsoft Office than Microsoft Office is these days". (Obviously, some people will still want/need to use MSOffice especially if they have fancy macros or formatting that doesn't convert well etc.)

I'll be sad when I can't say that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      I grew up with menus, yet I like MS Office's ribbon (and WPS Office's on Linux) a lot more. Menus confuse me, esp. when they contain an endless amount of options, like in office suites or other complex software.
                      Problem here is there are strictly 2 different classes of users. When you find that in a writer odf document you have used 70 percent of the complete features of odf in one document these people don't find the menus confusing.

We have users that need the endless amount of options. Also we have users who get lost in the endless amount of options.

With free and open source software, you get back control – over your software, your data, and your computer as a whole. And in the LibreOffice community, we strive to create the best user experience, but we also recognise that different users have different requirements. To this end, LibreOffice includes three main user interface designs, […]

This above gives you the 6 different interfaces libreoffice is most likely going to proceed forwards with.

Yes there are people who hate ribbon mostly because it at times makes it insanely hard to access advanced features. The notebookbar set of interfaces for libreoffice could do with your input Vistaus.

Lot of people don't compare current Libreoffice menus to first version of libreoffice you will be shocked if you todo to see how much the menus have be reordered to improve workflow of users who do want most of the features.

Comment

Working...
                      X