No announcement yet.

VLC 4.0 Media Player Eyeing New User Interface, Better Wayland Support & VR/3D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC 4.0 Media Player Eyeing New User Interface, Better Wayland Support & VR/3D

Phoronix: VLC 4.0 Media Player Eyeing New User Interface, Better Wayland Support & VR/3D

It was nearly one year ago to the day that there was the huge VLC 3.0 feature release and while that was a great update to this open-source, cross-platform media player there is a lot more out on the horizon...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...9-Feature-Talk

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I hope they're super careful with this one. UI redesigns have sunken many products.
    IMHO:
    The current UI is atrocious and has been for the past decade. The Mobile UI is a clear improvement over desktop.

Leave a comment:

• Artemis3
    replied
    I don't like this OpenGL requirement, there should always be a legacy fallback, in case you have driver or mesa issues...

Leave a comment:

• BOYSSSSS
    replied
    The only thing I dislike about VLC is that you can't put the subtitles over the black border at the bottom of the video. If they make it work I'm switching over to VLC for good.

Leave a comment:

• TheOnlyJoey
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'd have really liked VLC to support HMDs much sooner. Linux is in desperate need of a good native VR video player.
    The VLC OpenHMD integration actually has been usable for 2 years now when compiling the branch (https://twitter.com/OpenHMD/status/888430262085967893) I think they just wanted to take their time making sure it was done correctly!

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    What I would like to see is removal of the automatic pitch change "feature".
    When I listen to some tracks or watch videos using VLC, sometimes the audio track changes pitch by a slight amount, for no reason at all (maybe for A/V sync but the thing is that this happens even on audio-only files!), and yes, I can feel and hear it, and it greatly disturbs me.
    ​​​​​​
    This is one of the reasons I switched to mpv...

Leave a comment:

• haasn
    replied
    The slides don't mention it, but VLC 4 also adds Vulkan support

Leave a comment:

• Meteorhead
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I like the looks of that UWP version, but I don't see the resemblance between that version and the new 4.0 interface.
    Not that they are the same, but they do "feel" the same, similarly simple, material design. (Please don't shred me to pieces if I misused the term slightly.)

Leave a comment:

• Ardje
    replied
    VLC is an impressive piece of work. Yet, with each version, I downgrade to particular versions because in those version feature X works.
    Though, the moment I can get gstreamer to multicast streams exactly like vlc 2.1 did, I will go 100% gstreamer for streaming.

Leave a comment:

• haggler
    replied
    For the VR support if you could add the motion stabailization track meta data from the VR180 cameras video files. Sort of like the Oculus gallery app has on the Oculus Go. It makes the videos so smoother and less nausea inducing if there is movement.

I am not sure if google locked down the VR180 format but if you can incorporate that also would be awesome!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X