No announcement yet.

VLC 4.0 Media Player Eyeing New User Interface, Better Wayland Support & VR/3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC 4.0 Media Player Eyeing New User Interface, Better Wayland Support & VR/3D

Phoronix: VLC 4.0 Media Player Eyeing New User Interface, Better Wayland Support & VR/3D

It was nearly one year ago to the day that there was the huge VLC 3.0 feature release and while that was a great update to this open-source, cross-platform media player there is a lot more out on the horizon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Work on the new VLC 4.0 user-interface is progressing, there will be GNOME and KDE adaptations, support for both server-side and client-side decorations, and great support for Wayland as well as X11 -- including support for macOS, Windows, etc.
    Nice. Wonder how it will compare to GNOME MPV.

Comment

I hope they're super careful with this one. UI redesigns have sunken many products.

Comment

Nice UI overhaul. Personally, I really like the UI that's inside the UWP version. This resembles that very much. (I know, that on Phoronix this statement is probably going to irreversibly add a negative connotation to the new UI, but to quote a classic: it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.)
        Download this app from Microsoft Store for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows 10 Team (Surface Hub), HoloLens, Xbox One. See screenshots, read the latest customer reviews, and compare ratings for VLC.

Comment

Holy molly! Finally! It looks so much better, I've been compiling it without UI and using just as phonon backend in KDE, for years. With this change I might consider using it occasionally [ what can I say, it's hard to beat current mpv offerings ]. Hopefully they\ll sort their configuration UI next

Comment

Looks sexy.

Comment

It seem the new GUI is expected to land at some point during 2019. Looking forward to it.
              Last edited by Zeioth; 05 February 2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

The slides Michael linked to are really nice & informative. Everything they are planning looks really sensible. I also love the mock-up designs for the new UI.

My one outstanding questions is; will VLC 4 will rely on QT? It looks like the answer is yes: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/query?...ilestone=4.0.0

You can checkout their progress on 4.0 here:

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I hope they're super careful with this one. UI redesigns have sunken many products.
                  Looks more like a reskin to me. (i.e. buttons are in the same general place).

Comment

Wow, I'm really excited for the GNOME interface! Are there any mockups yet, or is it just in the planning stage?

Comment

Working...
                    X