No announcement yet.

VLC 4.0 Media Player Eyeing New User Interface, Better Wayland Support & VR/3D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't attend the VLC talk as I had others to go to but I did talk to a couple of the guys at the VLC stand and they were really nice. I asked about missing forced subtitles when playing Blu-rays, which I think is actually a libbluray problem. I didn't expect them to be interested but they were surprised that it didn't work for me and urged me to file a bug if it really is still an issue. It was mostly an issue with Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad but I only rent discs so I'll have to wait for something else to test again.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
      I didn't attend the VLC talk as I had others to go to but I did talk to a couple of the guys at the VLC stand and they were really nice. I asked about missing forced subtitles when playing Blu-rays, which I think is actually a libbluray problem. I didn't expect them to be interested but they were surprised that it didn't work for me and urged me to file a bug if it really is still an issue. It was mostly an issue with Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad but I only rent discs so I'll have to wait for something else to test again.
      Bug on forced subs has existed a long time:
      https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1135

Comment

For the VR support if you could add the motion stabailization track meta data from the VR180 cameras video files. Sort of like the Oculus gallery app has on the Oculus Go. It makes the videos so smoother and less nausea inducing if there is movement.

I am not sure if google locked down the VR180 format but if you can incorporate that also would be awesome!

Comment

VLC is an impressive piece of work. Yet, with each version, I downgrade to particular versions because in those version feature X works.
          Though, the moment I can get gstreamer to multicast streams exactly like vlc 2.1 did, I will go 100% gstreamer for streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I like the looks of that UWP version, but I don't see the resemblance between that version and the new 4.0 interface.
            Not that they are the same, but they do "feel" the same, similarly simple, material design. (Please don't shred me to pieces if I misused the term slightly.)

Comment

The slides don't mention it, but VLC 4 also adds Vulkan support

Comment

What I would like to see is removal of the automatic pitch change "feature".
                When I listen to some tracks or watch videos using VLC, sometimes the audio track changes pitch by a slight amount, for no reason at all (maybe for A/V sync but the thing is that this happens even on audio-only files!), and yes, I can feel and hear it, and it greatly disturbs me.
                ​​​​​​
                This is one of the reasons I switched to mpv...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I'd have really liked VLC to support HMDs much sooner. Linux is in desperate need of a good native VR video player.
                  The VLC OpenHMD integration actually has been usable for 2 years now when compiling the branch (https://twitter.com/OpenHMD/status/888430262085967893) I think they just wanted to take their time making sure it was done correctly!

Comment

The only thing I dislike about VLC is that you can't put the subtitles over the black border at the bottom of the video. If they make it work I'm switching over to VLC for good.

Comment

I don't like this OpenGL requirement, there should always be a legacy fallback, in case you have driver or mesa issues...

Comment

Working...
                      X