PipeWire Should Be One Of The Exciting Linux Desktop Technologies For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    What does PipeWire have to do with flatpaks?
    Interacting with sandboxed applications in a secure manner I guess.

Comment

PipeWire is shaping-up to be a great replacement but, why the re-license to MIT/X11? The commit doesn't provide any technical reasons for the switch and the slides don't give any insight either.

Comment

I wonder if there will be a way to have bit perfect audio with PipeWire? Currently I can bypass PulseAudio and send music directly to ALSA without any kind of conversions. I didn't see any mention of this on the website when I looked.

When I am playing music right now I use Deadbeef to take my 192Khz/24bit FLAC files and send it directly to ALSA. It does lock sound out of the rest of the system as Deadbeef has ALSA locked down but I am good with that, I don't want other garbage messing up my music. I don't want a bunch of resampling, stray sounds or, shaping of the music. I then take the digital output of my sound card and send it to my external DAC and the rest of my sound system.

Comment

Originally posted by vsteel View Post
          I wonder if there will be a way to have bit perfect audio with PipeWire? Currently I can bypass PulseAudio and send music directly to ALSA without any kind of conversions. I didn't see any mention of this on the website when I looked.
          You don't actually need to bypass PA to get bit perfect. PA is smart enough to choose whatever sample rate the first detected audio stream has, so as long as nothing else is playing when you start playing music, you are getting bit perfect audio. Normally it will only choose between 44.1khz and 48khz, but this can be reconfigured to accept any sample rate if you want to play ultrasonic music for your dog, which seems to be a thing that you're into judging from the rest of your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I haven't had to wait too much...
            ha, some are still jerking off onto the RH logo on their laptops and feel frustrated if others do not follow

Comment

Originally posted by vsteel View Post

When I am playing music right now I use Deadbeef to take my 192Khz/24bit FLAC files and send it directly to ALSA. It does lock sound out of the rest of the system as Deadbeef has ALSA locked down but I am good with that, I don't want other garbage messing up my music. I don't want a bunch of resampling, stray sounds or, shaping of the music. I then take the digital output of my sound card and send it to my external DAC and the rest of my sound system.
              If you've spent that much money, I doubt you'll be swayed but, for others, you don't need bit-perfect 192KHz/24bit audio.

The reason 192/24 sounds better is because they generally put more care into mastering when they sell you 192/24 audio and, surround vs. stereo aside, it'd sound just as good if they sold you a CD-quality (44.1/16) downmix made with the same degree of care from the same master. Aside from being an indicator that they probably put more effort into mastering properly, 192/24 is just intended as a temporary format for mastering and mixing to give the equipment and filters more wiggle room to avoid rounding errors and other kinds of degradation as the audio engineers apply various different stages of processing on the recording.

Monty from Xiph.org (the guy who came up with Ogg Vorbis) wrote a lengthy and heavily-cited article on the details of this.

Comment

Originally posted by JAYL View Post
                Typo: also tieing into
                'tieing' and 'tying' are both correct, according to the famous Merriam-Webster dictionary (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tie "tying\ ˈtī-​iŋ \ or tieing"), although 'tying' is more commonly used.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 03 February 2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  shmerl I guess Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu etc. sees things differently. At least they agreed to use the same compositor. That’s “common” to me. So far there’s no indication that anyone want to invest a lot of time in common frameworks for multiple compositors.
                  I still don't get what you mean. I'm using KWin in Debian. It's quite different from let's say Mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by re:fi.64 View Post

JACK?
                    No, Facebook has tied PipeWire into their HACK programming language now :P

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                      TBH I'm quite surprised PipeWire is not a systemd module. I suspect it would benefit from being such.
                      They changed PipeWire to MIT license. Since systemd is GPLv2, I think that forces them to be separate.

Comment

Working...
                      X