PipeWire Should Be One Of The Exciting Linux Desktop Technologies For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire Should Be One Of The Exciting Linux Desktop Technologies For 2019

Phoronix: PipeWire Should Be One Of The Exciting Linux Desktop Technologies For 2019

One of the Linux desktop technologies that is quite exciting and will hopefully see more widespread adoption this year is the Red Hat backed PipeWire initiative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo: also tieing into

Comment

Pipewire is interesting. Would be great if it will work out as a common framework for screen capturing, screenshots and etc. for Wayland compositors. I don't really care about flatpak much (and as long as flatpak is not a requirement for Pipewire - it's good), but Wayland progress for multimedia use cases would be very welcome.

Comment

I am kinda looking forward to getting Pipewire integrated through the whole stack - it seems like a really nice and thought out solution for AV in Linux

Comment

fulfill the roles currently handled by PulseAudio and HACK
          JACK?

Comment

Originally posted by JAYL View Post
            Typo: also tieing into
            Not a typo.

Comment

Originally posted by re:fi.64 View Post

JACK?
              Oh come on I am missing every single typo today...

Originally posted by phoronix
              Red Hat has been investing a lot into getting PipeWire to become a suitable replacement to PulseAudio and JACK and all the other roles it hopes this open-source project will fill in the Linux desktop space
              is redundant with the previous paragraph.

Comment

Waiting for usual screams about RedHat stuffing things down users' throats... anyone? But you know, that will happen as soon as major distros adopt it.

TBH I'm quite surprised PipeWire is not a systemd module. I suspect it would benefit from being such.
                Last edited by lucrus; 03 February 2019, 03:59 AM.

Comment

and the most exciting part of it - you'll get NSA in your audio Pipe for free! And then they'll put it in the kernel so you can't get rid of it that easy. Every time I read RH has developed a new exciting feature for you, I flinch

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                    Waiting for usual screams about RedHat stuffing things down users' throats... anyone?
                    Originally posted by flux242 View Post
                    and the most exciting part of it - you'll get NSA in your audio Pipe for free! And then they'll put it in the kernel so you can't get rid of it that easy. Every time I read RH has developed a new exciting feature for you, I flinch
                    I haven't had to wait too much...

Comment

Working...
                    X